wifi failure after upgrade to BT Smart Hub

Luc123 16:30 14 Jan 2017

Hello,

Have upgraded to BT Smart Hub and all the kids devices connect via wifi with no problem except for my laptop.

The laptop indicates that it is connected via wifi but on attempt to view any website the "this page cannot be displayed" message appears.

The laptop connects ok via Ethernet cable.

It still connects OK if I re-connect the old Home Hub 3.

wifi properties on my laptop are the same as son's laptop which does connect

Any advice on how to fix this please?

Cheers

difarn 17:48 14 Jan 2017

I don't know which OS your laptop has.

Is your laptop trying to connect to 5GHz band but this is either not enabled on your laptop or your laptop doesn't support this?

click here it something to do with b, g or n connectivity?

click here

Is

Luc123 18:27 14 Jan 2017

Thanks.

OS is windows 8. I'm sorry, how do I find out if it's trying to connect to 5GHz band? Is this what it needs to do?

I don't really understand the technical implications of the above!

difarn 20:09 14 Jan 2017

If it is a dual band router than both bands should show up in wifi networks when it shows which networks are in range and which one your device is trying to connect to.

If it is trying to connect to 5GHz then you need to check that your adapter supports this.

This article describes the steps to take:-

click here could go into the settings on your home hub to see the wireless mode it is set to. It explains the different modes. If it is set to 1 you could try one of the others to see if you can get online.

This article explains about the wireless settings on the home hub 5.

You

Luc123 20:46 17 Jan 2017

Thanks for your help difarn,

When I log onto the Hub Manager (Smart Hub/ Home Hub 6) I can see that the laptop is connected on the 2.4Ghz band. The laptop also shows that it is connected. But no web pages can be displayed. And then last night it suddenly connected but tonight no luck. I don't know where to go from here.

And I'm using the Ethernet to post this reply.

Cheers

Caoimhin58 01:55 18 Jan 2017

I'm having a similar problem. The difficulty I have even happens when I'm hard wired via ethernet. Did anyone come up with an answer for you that worked?

difarn 10:25 18 Jan 2017

Have you updated your wireless network adaptor drivers?

You say that the wifi properties are the same as the laptop of your son that does have a connection - is Proxy Server unchecked in your browser(s)?

Luc123 22:15 24 Jan 2017

Hi difarn, apologies for not replying sooner. I have mostly been pulling my hair out and swearing. my driver is a Broadcom 802.11n which connects at 2.4GHz. It is as updated as it can be. I can't remember the lad's driver but I know it connects on 5 GHz so it's not the same as mine.

Sometimes I can connect to the internet on wifi but I have to continually open up the browser, close and re-open until I get a connection. I always try the google search page as it doesn't have much content. Once I get a connection I can then get onto other sites and slowly the speed builds up until it's as quick as using Ethernet.

But sometimes I can't connect at all after dozens of attempts.

I'm going back to BT to cancel the contract and go back to using my Homehub 3. It was quick enough for my use and the kids will have to lump it. Maybe cancelling will spur BT into action because I can't be the only person with this problem after upgrading.

Thank you for trying to help.

tonyx1302 10:26 25 Jan 2017

Good morning Luc123. I had a few teething problems myself when I moved from Hub 4 to Hub 6 but contacted BT through their Internet site and through their 'live chat' in India option. They talked me through the set up and it took a while but they were very patient as I am by no means pc literate. Give it a go as the difference between 4 and 6 is amazing so persevere. Good luck Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

50 Cent is Iron Man in these comic book cover reissues of hip hop classics

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?