WiFi Adapter DNS Issues, Bad Connections

CozzyOneStop 11:50 25 Mar 2019

Hi

I have recently bought a refurbished PC which is an ex-office machine. It does not feature an onboard wireless card, so I have purchased a TP-Link USB Adapter (TN-WN823N).

After installation, I hooked it up to my home WiFi network, and immediately the connection on my other devices (Android Phone and Mac) was interrupted. The connection via the USB adapter worked for a couple of seconds before timing out and giving me a variety of different network errors, most commonly a DNS resolution error.

I have connected the PC to a mobile hotspot and had a full connection without any issues, which must mean that the adapter itself is functioning correctly. I'm now at my wit's end with it - I have done my best to strip all previous software that was lingering (corporate anti-virus for example) and removed the computer from the domain, resetting the local network policy etc., but still can't seem to find a solution.

I am with Virgin media, and had an engineer out last week, but he was adamant that the issues were not with the router. I can only assume there's some internal setting/configuration on the PC which is stopping the machine from connecting properly, but I'm now out of ideas.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated to get me back online on the new machine.

Kind Regards

difarn 14:33 25 Mar 2019

It may be that your router can only support one of b/g/n and your laptop can support the newest standard forcing the other devices that can't to drop out. To check if this is the case you will have to access the admin pages of your router and try the different modes. Did the engineer do this?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?