Wi Fi on Pentium M

2stroketim 09:03 07 Sep 2006

Hi- Just purchased a Dell 600 which I wiped down and did a clean install of XP with Pentium M 1.6ghz, my question is should it be wi fi enabled as I though tall pentium m came wifi as standard ?, when I click on the wireless tab the message appears "install adaptor", is this something I can download or do i have to buy ?

FelixTCat 09:12 07 Sep 2006

It isn't Pentium M that are all wireless - it is only those with the Centrino chipset. If your laptop doesn't have a Centrino label somewhere, it doesn't have a built-in wireless adapter.

If it is Centrino and you have done a clean install, you will have to download drivers or install them from the CD that came with the laptop. Start here: click here

ed-0 09:58 07 Sep 2006

It looks as if the d600 has a built in WiFi chip on the motherboard. You would need to identify this and download a driver for it. click here#

have a look in control panel > system > hardware > device manager. Any yellow exclamation marks?

Or alternatley use the motherboard driver disk, if you got one, to install the driver.

2stroketim 19:21 07 Sep 2006

Thanks again guys..worked a treat

ed-0 06:59 08 Sep 2006

Thats good.

Not much good having a laptop without WiFi.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?