why wont these games install ?

JACC 22:10 15 Aug 2003

I 've just installed MuVee autoproducer,and it caused my pc to fail.Got the problem sorted,but 2 games my kids had recentley installed no longer work.They are C&C Renegade and Max Payne, they worked fine before but no longer function. Have uninstalled both and tried to reinstall, C&C says there is a setup.exe fault,tried to install manually-same message.Max Payne says it needs DirectX 8 or higher to run,we've got DX 9 ,and iv've checked it out in System Diognostics-says it's fine.I had to reload W98se,got the latest drivers for my graphics card,defrageed,scandisc,virus check the lot i think.I'm bemused why something that used to run fine now won't even install. I hope you can help me get these irrate kids off my back,please help.

sil_ver 22:20 15 Aug 2003

You may need to backup your saved games and anything else important, reformat and do a fresh install of 98SE. You might try using system file checker to see if it finds anything untoward, it can be found (if memory serves) in Start/progs/accessories/system tools/system information

snoresloudly 22:26 15 Aug 2003

try removing direct 9, and then re-installing, new releases of direct x have a habit of mucking up systems. you could also try re-installing the games and choose the option to install direct x8 from the games disc if it is there, sorry sil_ver think a re-format is a bit drastic at this stage:>)

sil_ver 22:43 15 Aug 2003

Agree reformat a bit drastic but it's sometimes the least stressful way of of recovering from a crash. Windows can be a bit thick when it comes to diagnosing problems and if your not a techie (puts hand up)and no-one comes up with an answer, bite the bullet and do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)