Why is my PC so slow? Specs included.

WillDM 07:36 02 Jun 2018

My PC has been super slow all the time lately. I use it mainly for gaming but it's just slow in every possible way. When I start up my PC it takes 5-10 minutes to fully boot up. When I'm in any game and I alt + tab to load up chrome/task manager/anything, it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute or so to actually load what I want. I just recently bought a NVIDIA 1080 and it increased my frames but the PC is just way to slow. Also, whenever it's running slowly and get task manager open my disk usage is at 100%, is that the issue?

Specs: click here responses are greatly appreciated, cheers.

Any

rdave13 11:13 02 Jun 2018

Your link not working. The drive running at 100% will certainly slow the PC. After a fresh boot, open task manager, then select the drive heading, and keep an eye out for what's continually using it. Don't use the PC and wait for the drive to settle. See how long it takes.

Jack Pady 11:44 02 Jun 2018

I would suspect the CPU is the bottleneck. But as said, the link provided to show your specs is DOA. Provide a response with them in plain text?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:10 02 Jun 2018

Slow PC / Laptop

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporary files and folders -- use CCleaner

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :- Malwarebytes Superantispyware Free Antivirus software Avast

c) Clean the registry -- Use the tool in CCleaner its very safe and also allows you to back up the registry first.

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Right click MY Computer - select properties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a different drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok. If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at start up -- Start - Run type msconfig - start up tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. see blackviper.com

2. Hardware

a) Hard drives / check are not full and have at least 20% free space see above.

b) Drivers Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) Memory Your memory could be failing try memtest

Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial will guide you through the process of selecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

rdave13 15:16 02 Jun 2018

*Fruit Bat /\0/* , and with very much respect, that's old advice but I'm assuming the OP has Windows 10 latest version. If Windows 10, I personally do not recommend, or use, Ccleaner. Most probably a slow HDD that needs time to catch-up with Store Apps update, security apps update and a multitude of others such as superfetch, indexing, telemetry, system and the list goes on. Might even be maintenance. Best thing to do with a slow HDD is to let it work, whatever time it takes, to complete and catch-up. Otherwise Windows 10 suspends these processes, or tries to, until the computer is idle. Just my suggestions though.

MJS WARLORD 18:10 02 Jun 2018

You say you had the problem before you got the 1080 so that's not the issue , I got a 1080. A couple of quick checks , as others have said, strip back the start menu to the minimum , my antivirus (Kaspersky) starts up without an entry , the only entry I have is for the sound card.

use task manager to look at running processes , the ones listed above background are the ones running now.

Look in add/remove for programs you don't recognise , there could be dodgy stuff running in the background that you don't know about.

If you have never used anti malware bytes and it finds something you must do another scan until it finds nothing , this is because infections are made up of several segments and not always deleted on first pass.

najmul hasan 18:53 02 Jun 2018

Hi, I would like to stream My Pc screen over my Local network (HTTP). Are there any apps or any way to do this? Thanks in advance.

rdave13 19:06 02 Jun 2018

najmul hasan With respect please start your own thread. WillDM will be receiving emails pertaining to this thread.. possibly.

AroundAgain 19:27 02 Jun 2018

Sounds similar to my laptop and several other laptops of friends. My laptop was so slow, it was almost unusable and, yes, the drive was running at 100% even though nothing running.

Turned out that Windows 10 was trying to download some updates which kept failing to install, and so the issue continued. Eventually, all downloaded, 1803 installed and now running fine

May I suggest you check in Updates to see what's trying to install. Also, look in the Update history to see if any of the updates are failing to install, as that might give you a clue

MJS WARLORD 23:18 02 Jun 2018

update 1803 is the one that is currently causing all the problems such as broken icons , black screen instead of your set desktop background and the biggest one I found is language changed from UK English to US English , the easiest way to check is type @ if it does not type @ go to region and language and change to uk English and uk web search. if you are now on us English you will see a tab to download uk pack , after doing a restart windows will hang for a while whilst looking for everything that uses the pack.

rdave13 23:46 02 Jun 2018

yes, the drive was running at 100% even though nothing running.

AroundAgain if you click on the hard drive heading in task manager it will show what processes are running that's using the drive.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

16 illustration tips for packaging

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs antivirus pour Mac (2018)