Hot Topics

Why is my heating coming on when not programmed to

Linda Milliken 08:23 30 Jan 2020

I have a salus T105rf programmable thermostat .. After a few attempts I finally figured out how to program it (instructions very vague ) was going OK but recently it seems the boiler kicks in when not programmed to and also temp goes up to about 23 which is far too hot (I set comfort temp to 21 ) The only way can stop it is to turn off at boiler to hot water only .. Then switch back when I need it Help Linda

mrgrumpy 10:30 30 Jan 2020

Hi Linda , the only time a boiler should kick in on its own is when their is a severe frost and a built in setting that you cant control makes it come on automatically.

My late mum 97 got confused a lot with how her heating worked , NOT SAYING YOUR CONFUSED , yes you have thermostat but depending on your boiler you should also have separate controls for water and heating on the panel of your boiler that also decide on how hot water and radiators work. So you could have a situation where the boiler water and heater is independently set too high and the end result could be your water is scolding hot and your radiators are red hot even with the valve set on only No.2

I have looked on google at your thermostat , it is a portable one yes ! This mean it will respond to the room it is in. so if you put it in a cold room it will not stop working until THAT room is as hot as the thermostat wants it to be. The downside is all other rooms could be too hot.

Put the thermostat either if the hallway or preferably the room you use the most, when that room is warm enough the thermostat will cut out , if the other rooms are not warm enough just turn up the individual radiator valves.

hssutton 10:46 30 Jan 2020

There is a frost protection mode on the Salus,this can be deactivated. Check page 20. With frost protection activated it will overide any programme setting

Bob The Plumber 11:25 30 Jan 2020

kicks in when not programmed to and also temp goes up to about 23 which is far too hot.

The thermostat is designed to kick in before the time you have set it to as it incorporates a built in optimiser. Say you have set the temperature of the room to 21 degrees for 7.30AM, the unit will work out what time to kick the boiler on, so that room is at its programmed temperature at 7.30AM.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

You've watched Parasite, now read the storyboards in comic book form

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures lumières connectées (2020)