why is my hard drive so full?

jimmylove 19:39 07 Jun 2006

My newly reformatted sony vaio laptop has a 60GB hard drive. After formatting it this morning due to a crash (NEVER install Norton Systemworks!), it should have around 55GB available but it is showing 44GB available with the minimum of programms loaded and no media on the PC. I just don't understand what is taking up the space. There is no recovery partition (I deleted it), and documents & settings is only showing 1.5GB, programme files is 1.9GB and the main culrpit as far as I can see is the Windows folder which is 3.63GB, but that still leaves around 4 or 5GB unaccounted for. Anyone got any ideas?

mattyc_92 19:43 07 Jun 2006

System Restore enabled?
If so, that is where your space has gone....

Right-click your drive, select "Cleanup"
Now click the other tab button (which label I can't remeber) and click the "CleanUp" button for the "System Restore" :-)

Shortstop 19:46 07 Jun 2006

You can use easycleaner [ click here ] that as well as claning the registry & unnecessary files allows you to produce a pie-chart showing what programs are installed and how much space they take up.

rodriguez 19:47 07 Jun 2006

The tab that mattyc_92 can't remember is More Options :-P. Also the space could have disappeared in temporary files which disk cleanup will also fix.

mattyc_92 19:49 07 Jun 2006

Thats the one :-)

Try "CCleaner" (click here) to remove all "temporary files", "cookies", etc...

jimmylove 19:50 07 Jun 2006

thanks guys for such a quick response. No luck with sys restore - hardly freed up any space. I guess I'll download easycleaner and have a look...

jimmylove 20:03 07 Jun 2006

i got it! System restore settings were set to 10GB! I lowered it to around 5 and freed up a lot of space. Could I lower it to 2 or even 1GB? What would you recommend?

ed-0 20:03 07 Jun 2006

has pointed out. At default, system restore will be using 12% of your hard drive, around 6Gb. Drop it down to around 1Gb.

Also look at your recycle bin allowance. This usually reserves 10%. That could be 5.5Gb. You can use the slider to drop it down to a few hundred Mbs.

mattyc_92 20:04 07 Jun 2006

I personally have set mine to 5GB as I don't install/uninstall things much

It depends on how often you install, uninstall and re-install things

ed-0 20:05 07 Jun 2006

cross posting ;-)

I think most people have the setting at around 1Gb. It should give you a good selection of restore points.

jimmylove 20:08 07 Jun 2006

thanks a lot guys :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?