Why is my computer giving me headaches?

Gunny666 01:53 23 Nov 2016

Hi,

So I keep getting terrible headaches from looking at my monitor, even if it's just for a few minutes.

I use a TV screen as my monitor. What's weird is that when I watch TV on it I have absolutely no problems, but when I use it as a computer I get the headaches.

This suggests that there is nothing wrong with the screen, but what could be causing the headaches?

I have never had a problem looking at any other screens/ monitors before.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

wee eddie 09:13 23 Nov 2016

You've answered your own question. TV Screens are not designed to display text crisply. You are straining your eyes trying to focus

alanrwood 09:38 23 Nov 2016

Ensure the computer graphics are set to 60Hz refresh. If lower it might be the cause.

Forum Editor 10:19 23 Nov 2016

"when I watch TV on it I have absolutely no problems, but when I use it as a computer I get the headaches."

When you watch TV you tend to sit further from the screen than when you are using a computer.

Govan1x 10:59 23 Nov 2016

Because you are sitting so close you need proper glasses for working on computers hence the headaches.

They say normal reading glasses will do but that is not the case. You have to measure how far your eyes are from the screen when buying glasses. My eyes are approximately 22inches from the screen so the optician would take that into account when making glasses for computer work.

if you do not normally wear glasses you need them now.

Old Deuteronomy 11:22 23 Nov 2016

Because you are sitting so close you need proper glasses for working on computers hence the headaches. They say normal reading glasses will do but that is not the case. You have to measure how far your eyes are from the screen when buying glasses. My eyes are approximately 22inches from the screen so the optician would take that into account when making glasses for computer work. if you do not normally wear glasses you need them now.

Govan1x may have hit your nail right on the head. I wear glasses routinely and use varifocals for most things, however, for the computer I have single vision lenses with the focus distance set for the job. Makes things much easier and avoids eye-strain.

Also consider whether there is any noticeable flicker from your tv screen, it will be much more apparent when you are closer to the screen.

wee eddie 12:52 23 Nov 2016

Thank you all for expanding on my first answer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:41 23 Nov 2016

I use an old pair of reading glasses for computer work as my eyesight shortens, for the above reasons.

Forum Editor 18:43 23 Nov 2016

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Ditto.

Secret-Squirrel 18:54 23 Nov 2016

I have never had a problem looking at any other screens/ monitors before.

Make sure you act on Alan's advice and ensure the monitor refresh rate is 60Hz. If it's lower then the screen will flicker and can easily cause the problems you describe.

john bunyan 19:15 23 Nov 2016

Before I retired I worked in the Netherlands and had a 4 screen workstation. My company paid for a special pair of "triple" vary focal size, the top for distance, the middle to focus on the monitors about 45 or so cm away, and the lower zone for reading. Don't bother at home but I wonder if special vatyfocals are used in U.K.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs smartphones Honor