Why Must It Be So Hard

The Paul 14:02 16 Nov 2005

I have had a cable network for ages and it works fine. (I live in France) Recently our commune got ADSL availability and I jumped at it. I have now received my ADSL Modem/Router. My cables for the 3 PC's downstairs all hook up as before and the move over from my basic router was easy. Mr ADSL Modem/Router also has WiFi and this is important as I want the kids to be able to hook up but running cables would be a nightmare.

So I bought 2 802.11g Wireless LAN PCI cards - followed the installation instructions and nothing. The PC's see the cards okay - but they wont connect. I have allocated a key to the new cards as prompted but nothing.

The ADSL Modem/Router is connected to what used to be the HOST by Ethernet cable so I guess that makes the new router the Gateway.

I have searched both on this Forum and outside of it for guidance but I have found nothing that makes any sense to me.

Help - anyone - Cheers - Paul

Taran 14:09 16 Nov 2005

First things first.

Details of your router would help - manufacturer, model and so on.

Assuming you have enabled wireless from the router control panel, there are still a ton of things to potentially go wrong.

What type of security option did you select ?

Best option for this as a home user is usually WPA-PSK for Network Authentication and TKP for Data Encryption.

Are you able to connect to the router from a wired PC ?

Are you able to connect to your ADSL providor from that wired PC through the router ?

Assuming you can get a wired connection to the router and a live ADSL feed at the other end the rest is down to patientce, sometimes lots of coffee and a bit if cursing.

The reason wireless networking is so difficult is that it's complex technology.

Devices and their interfaces try to make it easier for home users but there's a lot of ground to cover in wireless and it isn't easy.

Try to give more detail of you can of your setup.

T

The Paul 14:28 16 Nov 2005

Router = base plate states:
Alice
VoIP IAD
Model: CT-633
P/N: 222458-014
Terminal Triway V2

I believe that I have set up the WiFi aspect of my router using the Alice (ex Tiscali) program that came with the pack

I'm not certain that I was asked for a security option

I generally understand the security info you mention - and on the PCI card I installed in one of the PC's I opted for WPA-PSK (although I think it is ignoring this as it cannot connect)

I have 3 PCs connected to the router via cable and they have full access to each other and the Internet
- does this answer the next point about connecting to my ADSL provider. I'm using it now via the router which is connected to this PC by cable

The Router has a (I assume) a type of PCMCI card which is inserted in the router with the lights flashing away.

Does any of this make sense

The Paul 15:13 16 Nov 2005

As the router is now effectively stand alone - should I see it mentioned anywhere on the Device Manager for example. I cannot see any sign of it anywhere yet I know it works as I can see the other PCs and get on the internet.

Am I being really dumb here.

The Paul 19:30 16 Nov 2005

I have my router/modem connected to what used to be my host PC. The installation instructions advised setting up via Ethernet (as FE suggests in another thread tonight) but I have kept it in place as I am happy with cable for the PCs downstairs.

What I cannot see is where the config for the Router/Modem is and how I can do anything with them.

I am beginning to suspect that my layout is all wrong and that is why the 2 wifi cards dont see anything - because effectively there is nothing for them to see.

Am I reading this right - or just getting dumber.

The Paul 07:19 17 Nov 2005

I realised that the title was in appropriate so I have ticked a resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?