why are some virus infected files only renamed

boo_hiss_boo 22:31 10 Sep 2004

Can anyone explain why some files found to be infected with viruses are only renamed and not deleted and others are simply deleted? I am running escan and although it is still running, so far I have had 5 deleted files, 9 renamed files and 4 errors.. (which adds up to 18 although escan has found 17...?)

Thanks
Boo

stalion 22:36 10 Sep 2004

because they may be needed by windows so are re-named to be safe rather than deleted.

boo_hiss_boo 22:43 10 Sep 2004

Does this mean they are cleaned then? How does renaming them clear the virus (sorry for being a bit of a thicky)

Thanks
Boo

VoG II 22:46 10 Sep 2004

I think that a more pertinent question is "Where do you keep getting these virsuses from"?

Eh?

stalion 22:46 10 Sep 2004

renaming stops the virus or trojan threat and makes the file either dead or usable by windows.
do not worry about the renaming it is ok

boo_hiss_boo 22:57 10 Sep 2004

Thanks Stalion thats great

Vog

Cleaning my sisters pc! its probably worth mentioning that she had not anti virus, no anti spyware, no firewall and had never done a scan on line for viruses.... not surprising there are so many :o))

I have brought the machine here as she was struggling to get any of the anti anything downloaded on her dial up connection and I am on broadband and knew (from here) of most of the great links for adding to her pc.

We are up to 89 viruses detected in escan and 2 from panda scan..... not including the 1 cleaned earlier from panda and the 2 from a-squared!

Boo

rmriph 10:46 11 Sep 2004

I ran escan which deleted 5 files but when i ran AOL scan they where still there, i tested this a couple of times with the same results but when i deleted them via the AOL scan i got rid of them ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?