Why 2 x 20GB windows files

alison.hollingshead 21:59 13 Feb 2018
Answered

Hi

I have just purchased a ASUS Transformer Mini T102HA Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC from Microsoft. Yesterday I turned it on for the first time, I was asked to install an update, which I did and it took hours. I just noticed today that I only have 9.90GB left of 56.7GB.

I have 3 windows files:- 'Windows' (20.2GB), 'Windows.old' (22.6GB) and 'Windows10Upgrade'(20.3MB).

It seems wrong that I only have 10GB left on a brand new laptop, with the operating system taking up around 80% of my disk space. Is someone able to advise if this is correct?

Many thanks

Alison

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:42 13 Feb 2018
Answer

Its created the download file to do the update from (Windows10Upgrade)

Its also create a windows old file so you can revert back in the next 10 days if there is a problem with the update.

If the windows is working fine then both these files can be deleted now the windows old file will be automatically deleted in 10 days time.

The problem with these low capacity machines is once you have loaded a ew apps and data, there will be insufficient space to do the next big upgrade without having a usb drive attached.

Govan1x 00:33 14 Feb 2018

Just installed a biggish windows update just now, There was no Windows old with this one so maybe you have another to download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9