who is responsible for faster networks?

Zebrapec 22:27 09 May 2006

Hi, I am on aol silver and would like a faster connection, but aol says I cannot because the exchange cannot handle it at the momment, the exchange (BT) says it is up to aol to upgrade the line ( I think that answer is stupid)but can anyone throw any light on who is responsible and more impotantly, how do you go on increasing speed without selling your house and moving where it is quicker?
Regards

Forum Editor 23:28 09 May 2006

"cannot handle it at the momment", and BT are right - it's up to AOL to increase your ADSL service speed.

The limiting factor may well be your line quality however. You can find out by running a test. click here and enter your telephone number - the checker will test your line-speed capability, and report on the maximum speed it could support.

Zebrapec 23:45 09 May 2006

ok, I oppolgise to BT, so I can get 516 whatever speed. So it appears as though it is the line quality, who would sort that out? or is it something I have to put up with. I suppose what annoys me is that everytime I switch on, and AOL starts up I am blasted with adverts to 'Increase Your Speed' So here am I with the readies in my hand, and I cannot give the money away because the line is ' poor quality '. Is it a case of how many customers there are in your area as to whether they spend money on renewing the line? because if it is, how do I find a new provider that provides a faster speed?

Zebrapec 23:45 09 May 2006

ok, I oppolgise to BT, so I can get 516 whatever speed. So it appears as though it is the line quality, who would sort that out? or is it something I have to put up with. I suppose what annoys me is that everytime I switch on, and AOL starts up I am blasted with adverts to 'Increase Your Speed' So here am I with the readies in my hand, and I cannot give the money away because the line is ' poor quality '. Is it a case of how many customers there are in your area as to whether they spend money on renewing the line? because if it is, how do I find a new provider that provides a faster speed?

Zebrapec 23:46 09 May 2006

opps duplicated

CurlyWhirly 19:30 11 May 2006

I was in a similar situation to you as using BT's old limits, I couldn't get a faster speed than 1 Mb however on Max DSL I am approaching the end of my 10 day 'training' and now connect at 3.5 or 4 Mb depending on network congestion and peak time.

I migrated to another ISP from AOL in the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?