white screen on start up

capewell38 23:09 24 Jan 2010

Please note I know next to nothing about PCs, so any answers need to be in 'Janet & John' mode.

When I start up my PC I get a white screen only. This also happens when screen goes into standby for more than a minute. Is this likely to be a graphics card issue or something entirely different? Whatever it is, how do I resolve it?

When it first occurred I simply switched the monitor off and back on and hey presto, the icons appeared. Now I can be switching it on and off 30 times or more before the icons appear.

Thank you in anticipation of somebody's help.

jamesd1981 23:27 24 Jan 2010

it could be the monitor, cable or card have you tried a different screen, a different cable etc.

User-312386 23:35 24 Jan 2010

Is it a CRT(big screen with big air holes) or a LCD(flat screen monitor)?

mooly 07:42 25 Jan 2010

It sounds like the monitor tbh.

If you keep switching it on/off and suddenly find it works, all without touching the PC then that's a fairly good clue.
Have you tried the "waggle test" and the "whack test" on the leads and monitor ;)

If you ever update graphics card drivers etc always create a restore point first so you can "go back" if there were ever problems.

capewell38 11:23 25 Jan 2010

Madboy - it is a flat screen (thanks for the expalnation - it helped).

Others - I have tried wiggling/waggling wires, thumping it etc etc, but this appears to have no effect.

User-312386 16:26 25 Jan 2010

OK next thought is - On the back of your PC where the monitor is plugged into, are there 2 sockets for the monitor? What i mean is, does the PC have a dedicated graphics card? If there are 2 then change the monitor plug over to the other one then see what happens!

capewell38 13:44 26 Jan 2010

no, just the one. Thanks for your persistence, to date

dasli 15:23 26 Jan 2010

useful info, thanks:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Adobe price increase confuses customers

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?