Which type of hard drive for my caddy?

Pineman100 18:23 04 Mar 2008

I find hard drive terminology a bit confusing. All these SATA and PATA acronyms...!

I have an external HDD in a USB caddy, for backing up. However, it's a bit small, and I want to fit a new, larger capacity one.

The data connection to the HDD within the caddy is the good old grey multi-strand ribbon cable that's been used within PC's for yonks. Am I right in thinking that, so long as the drive I buy is specified as "IDE", then that's the type of data connection it will have?

While I'm at it, does anyone have recommendations for a good deal on a drive - about 200GB?

Thanks for any advice.

grumpy-git 18:46 04 Mar 2008

External usb hard drives are so cheap these days, why not buy a new one & keep your existing caddy and hard drive for storing an extra copy of your important data.

g-g

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 04 Mar 2008

Are you sure it will work if the drive is an external one?

Do not think the software can see the drive in an enclosure, I tried the old MAxblast with a maxtor drive in a caddy but two WD drives fited in the machie it would not run the software.

Pineman100 19:42 04 Mar 2008

for very prompt and helpful replies.

Totally-braindead and Fruit Bat /\0/\ - thanks but the dilemma doesn't arise, because I do have ATI.

Pamy - thanks for the link. Not only does it help me with this immediate question, but gives me a bit of much-needed education, too!

Grumpy-git. Interesting idea - I'll compare prices, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Inside the redesign of the world's largest computer games platform, Steam

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?