Which startup prog?

Muergo 22:42 11 Jul 2009

I am currently using WinPatrol to prioitise start up programs, but a bit fed up with their constant pestering to pay for plus version. What is Startlite like, is it better/the same?

Muergo 22:44 11 Jul 2009

Should have said StartUplite

User-312386 22:50 11 Jul 2009

I would not use any programmes to stop them starting

Either go to start up folder and remove programmes or start>msconfig and untick the programmes you dont want to start

Sea Urchin 22:59 11 Jul 2009

I would agree with madboy33©® about discouraging your existing programs - but there are many programs that register themselves to run at startup without your knowledge.

I use Mike Lin's Startup Monitor

click here

which advises when a program is attaching itself to the startup routine, and gives the opportunity to refuse it. It's surprising how many times a day it happens.

birdface 23:10 11 Jul 2009

I have used Winpatrol for about 4 years now and in all that time I have not been asked to pay for the Plus Version.So not sure why you are getting pestered by them.

GaT7 23:56 11 Jul 2009

I'm with Sea Urchin on this - been using StartupMonitor too for a few years, it's light, effective & very simple to use. Also available at the PCA download section click here.

Rarely get any warnings though, unless I'm in the process of installing something that wants to introduce a new startup item. G

Muergo 07:08 12 Jul 2009

Thank you all for your advice, I will go along with you, just putting Winpatrol on disable and download Startup monitor.

Halmer 07:16 12 Jul 2009

there is a simple function to do this at Tools/Software Explorer

Muergo 12:59 12 Jul 2009

Program blurb says it's transparent, yes it is, I can't get any customisation to show, startup is just as it was before, how do I access preferences in the program,since installation it hasn't done anything.

GaT7 21:51 12 Jul 2009

That's the beauty of it.

You will get pop-ups only if any new startup entries are being introduced in your Windows startup area. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?