Which is a reasonable notebook?

Housten 16:13 13 Mar 2017

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I am sorely, at least I think so, of the sound advice that you hand out, on a very regular basis.

I have had an Acer Aspire One 722-C62kk with an 11.6” screen and 4GB for a couple of years. And it has done – and is doing – the job I wanted it to do; namely to take on holidays with us so we can keep in touch with friends whilst on the holiday. But we are just back from 2 weeks in Lanzarote and I must admit that I have found it s-l-o-w. I do not know anything about chips and, therefore, would be very grateful if someone could recommend a notebook with a faster chip in it. This is where I will probably annoy some of you: I would like one that is 5 to 10 times faster!! Also I am not looking for a new notebook – these all seem to come with Windows 10 which I do not like – but a second hand one with Windows 7 preferably 64Bit Home Premium or similar with USB 3.0 port(s). I am quite willing to go to £100, but for a good one am willing to stretch up to £200. If a company that trades in second hand notebooks has options and any of you know a reasonably reliable one that would also be helpful.

I know I am being picky, but at my time of life I am getting more and more specific and that is why I am asking you gentlemen.

Any and all – no matter how rude – replies will be very gratefully received.

Al94 17:43 13 Mar 2017

For the apparent usage I suggest a chromebook such as this would be ideal Acer

The Kestrel 19:13 13 Mar 2017

Have you thought of moving to a tablet instead of a laptop? I too had an Acer Aspire one with a 11.6" screen, which I found bulky and heavy to carry around on holiday.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with a 10.1" screen which is far less bulky and much lighter. It can do all the things I used to do with the Acer, email, surf the net, upload photographs etc. I bought mine for under £200, but they are now slightly more, no doubt due to the drop in the value of the pound. click here

Housten 14:36 14 Mar 2017

Good Afternoon, gentlemen,

I have tried a tablet – 3 times to be exact! – and could not get any to work. I do not like 10 which all new units have been loaded with. Which is why I am looking for a notebook with a – hopefully – faster chip than the one I have at present.

Thank you for your replies.

Forum Editor 15:00 14 Mar 2017

For the use you mention - keeping in touch with friends whilst on holiday - a tablet is the perfect choice. It will be smaller and lighter than a notebook, and every bit as capable.

Your hope of getting a notebook that is 5 to 10 times faster than your current machine for around £100 is unrealistic. For that kind of money you will not get anything suitable.

Spend £200 on a good Android tablet - it will be a far better choice. Fast, and easy to use.

wee eddie 15:02 14 Mar 2017

£200 is about the bottom of the market.

You might manage to get something 'second hand' which suits your requirements

Gordon Freeman 21:01 14 Mar 2017

Rather than a tablet, or notebook, why don't you consider a smartphone?

You can email, text etc., for keeping in touch with friends, if you feel the need, plus no 'win 10' concerns.

What does a notebook offer you over & above a smartphone (which is more portable anyway) if yr just using it to contact yr friends?

The Kestrel 21:29 17 Mar 2017

I disagree with wee eddie regarding the cost of a decent tablet. My Samsung Galaxy Tab A, which now costs a little over £200, has an octacore processor, 2Gb of RAM and decent HD graphics. On line it is very fast, in fact faster than my Acer laptop. Although not a Windows tablet, Android OS is pretty intuitive and will not take to long to master if new to this OS.

Housten 15:45 18 Mar 2017

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen, Many thanks for your replies but smart 'phones or tablets or any such I am not interested in. As I mentioned in one of my posts I have tried a tablet - not an expensive one - but I could not get it to connect to my router. WHY?? I do not have the foggiest notion. The firm were very helpful and sent me TWO further units and FULL INSTRUCTIONS as to how to get WiFi to absolutely no effect!!! As I do not like smart 'phones anyway and - now - do not trust tablets it looks like I will have to stick with what I have got.

bremner 10:24 19 Mar 2017

"Good afternoon gentlemen" - very polite but what about the ladies who contribute to the forum?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Hands-on

Alice Tye on blurring the line between fine art and illustration with Japan as her muse

Best free iPhone games 2019

Comparatif : iPhone XS vs Samsung Galaxy S10