Hot Topics

Which RAM?

Simsy 14:41 21 Aug 2010

Folks,

I'm almost ready to buy what's needed for my new PC build.
I'm getting this mobo;
click here
and this CPU;
click here

I want to get 4Gig RAM and this is where I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing, from a specification perspective...

I know I want/need 1333Hz for best matching with the above... I'm looking at 2 choices at the moment;

1 Stick of 4Gig;
click here

Or 2 sticks of 2 Gig;
click here

Given that the single stick is considerably cheaper than the set of two sticks, What is the issue? Is there a good reason why I should have the 2 sticks?

Also, what do I read into the spec regarding the memory that says the latency is C9(9-9-9-24) ? Is there something aboute the mobo/cpu combo that means I have some matching up to do regarding this?

Note that I am not a gamer, nor do I watch DVDs or video on the PC, (other than the occasional news clip), but I do a lot of photo and mess around with DTP stuff, which is why I've gone for a mobo with onboard graphics.

So, which RAM do I go for?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 09:54 22 Aug 2010

I'd decided which RAM to get, based on research from a number of places, (including a rival magazine's recent review!), and which was actually Crucial memory...

However, it wasn't one of the ones listed on the Crucial site...

So I used the LamdaTek tool because it indicates compatibility, (or otherwise), with the other components... I'm working on the priciple that if there is a problem with compatibility they'll take it back, as I got the advise from them! If I got the memory from elswhere and there proves to be a problem with it then returning it might not be so straightforward!

I'm actually going to collect the LamdaTek parts from them sometime this week, as it's easier/cheaper for me than the delivery charge. I'll try and have a discussion with them at the time, and report back.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What’s the difference between VPN and Antivirus and do you need both?

These are the best album covers of 2019

How to pick the best iPhone insurance

Les bons plans gadgets high tech (2020)