Hot Topics

which part of my WIFI network is a device using

awest3 10:25 12 Feb 2020

Hi, Although being involved with computers for some years I must admit to not quite understanding wifi. Is there some app which shows me which device, iPad, iPhone, TV, laptop, desktop etc. is using which wifi device. I have various extenders installed, which, in the most part appear to work although a few seem to have low bandwidth. Thanks Al

x13 14:28 14 Feb 2020

As for PC/Laptop click on the wifi icon bottom right. I use one extender and shows which wifi connection it's connected to. This laptop is connected directly to the router -

With iphone go to settings and wifi. I don't know if more than 1 extender will be identified by a different number or not as I only use the one. As for TV I guess there mus be a setting for wifi but I'm using an ethernet cable on mine so can't help there.

1]: [click here

awest3 15:44 24 Feb 2020

Thanks for this, I suppose what I'm trying to understand is whether or not a particular device is actually using a wifi extender. eg. I have a sky q box and a mini box I have a sky extender halfway between the two...If I turn off the extender then the signal drops quite considerably, so this in effect is showing that the extender is being used by the mini box. What I'd like to be able to see explicitly is that information via an app showing that the boxes are actually using the extender. Can I explicitly name an extender so they show up?

Thanks again.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to start your spring clean

D'oh! Simpsons infographic shows how bad the show's become

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Amazon Prime Day 2020