Which Motherboard Driver?

wingfield 16:22 27 Aug 2004

I think I've discovered the problem with no sound from my PC when playing stuff stored on the hard drive. (I can play music from CD's) I upgraded from Win2000 to XP Pro a few months ago but didn't realise anything was wrong. (my kids didn't say they couldn't play anything from the HD and I don't play music on the PC)
I've been looking in the handbook for the motherboard and it only mentions OS's up to Windows 2000, ME NT 4.0 & 98SE. No mention of XP.
So, my MB is an MSI K7T Turbo2 MS-6330 ATX. The drivers on the CD supplied were ViA Chipset Driver and VIA AC97 PCI Driver. I've done a Google search and found some replacement drivers but I'm not sure which ones to download. There were some VIA 4 in 1 drivers which said they were OK, but I would appreciate some guidance as I don't want to mess things up.

Quiller. 16:47 27 Aug 2004

Just hold on before you look for fresh drivers.

It may be that the new X\P installation has put some generic drivers on. Look in device manager for any yellow exclamation marks. If you see any delete the items and reboot. Have the motherboard disk in and see if the found new hardware picks the drivers off the disk.

wingfield 18:03 27 Aug 2004

Have checked all items in the Device Manager and there are no yellow exclamation marks. Thinking further, since I loaded XP Pro it has been coming up with some strange messages. One in particular is when I go to restrt the PC I get a blue screen saying Windows has detected a fault and is shutting down to prevent damage. Furhter down the screen it says it is dumping something onto the hard drive. When this has counted up (to 100%) the it restrts normally! Strange indeed

wingfield 18:04 27 Aug 2004

Have checked all items in the Device Manager and there are no yellow exclamation marks. Thinking further, since I loaded XP Pro it has been coming up with some strange messages. One in particular is when I go to restart the PC I get a blue screen saying Windows has detected a fault and is shutting down to prevent damage. Furhter down the screen it says it is dumping something onto the hard drive. When this has counted up (to 100%) the it restrts normally! Strange indeed

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:59 27 Aug 2004

Dummping on hard drive is a program called Kernal fault check.

This is saving all files in memory (memory dump) allows windows to restart from where it left off when it reboots.

If you have a VIA chipset then the Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers are a must to cure some problems with this chipset.

Quiller. 19:10 27 Aug 2004

if you have no problems in device manager, then do as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggests download the drivers and try.click here

wingfield 08:45 28 Aug 2004

OK I've done that but it doesn't seem to have stopped the dumping of memory or restored the sound device.
I get a message 'audio device not available or not working properly' is this refferring to the sound card or is it Windows media player?

Quiller. 11:40 28 Aug 2004

Don't know why your memory is dumping to your hard drive.

For the sound, have you looked in the bios to see if the on board sound is enabled. It may be under advanced chipset features and labelled as on chip sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?