Which modem/router do i need

Terry1955 18:54 06 May 2018
Answered

I am currently using a talktalk supplied device, promising speeds up to 38mb, but only get circa 22. I have amazon echo and hive connected, and have cctv in theory accessible by smartphone. In reality the error messages suggest firewall issues with router. I wish to upgrade to solve this issue. I dont u derstand all the jargon. Can someone please offer guidance? Many thanks

wee eddie 21:04 06 May 2018
Answer

It is unlikely that the Router is the problem. A new one is probably not going to increase your download speed by much.

bumpkin 22:08 06 May 2018

I have a talktalk router and usually get near the 38 but it "Up to" and 22 isn't that bad. I don't think it is a router issue.

bumpkin 22:15 06 May 2018

The speed you get depends on many factors but the maximum you can get is only what the line will provide to your home, no router is able to increase that.

Ian in Northampton 08:42 07 May 2018

Just echoing what others have said: the speed you're experiencing is much more likely to be a function of the connection to your home than the router.

Secret-Squirrel 09:01 07 May 2018

.............but only get circa 22

If you can, ask your immediate neighbours who are also on a fibre-to-the-cabinet service what speeds they get. That will give an indication of whether your speeds are too low or not.

................. and have cctv in theory accessible by smartphone. In reality the error messages suggest firewall issues with router.

Who provides your CCTV service? Nowadays most systems connect to the CCTV company's server and will work regardless of the router used.

Terry1955 17:48 11 May 2018

Just want to thank everybody for great ideas, (and for all the time taken by everybody) Your comments and advices much appreciated Terry

Terry1955 18:00 11 May 2018

And a message to wee eddie. I seem to have pressed the wrong button. This is to correct it. Thankyou for your help

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Frida Kahlo's life, art and legacy explored in Google's new giant online collection and app

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?