Which, if any, external hard drive

johnincrete 07:00 22 Feb 2011

I need a new external hard drive for my daughter's computer to receive backup files from Acronis.
Certainly, the 1T capacity drives seem more than sufficient & there are many to choose from.
What factors should I be looking for when preparing a short-list?
Is there a "best buy" in manufacturers? - Seagate and Western Digital seem to be the more frequently occuring & I have used my WD "My Book" for several years but it's not big enough for my computer & my daughter's.
Or should I use Acronis web storage? There is no sensitive data, just lots of Word docs, PagePlus publications, photos & MoviePlus videos - no massive individual files.
Speed of writing is no problem because backups are run over-night but maybe speed of recovery is important.

bremner 07:38 22 Feb 2011

Having at one time or another used external drives from all manufacturers I have yet to find a "best buy".

It usually comes down to which seller has the best deal on whatever manufacturers drive at the time of wanting to make a purchase.

What factors? Would a network capability be useful on the drive - this will of course raise the price. click here

Do you require a portable drive or is it to reside permanently in one place. If portable then one without a power supply click here, if fixed then a powered one might be better.click here

All links are for example only and not a recommendation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?