Which HDD to replace mine please ?

Furkin 14:39 04 Mar 2006

Hi all, I have an ACER Aspire T120 with original HDD (WD400EB-00CPFO). I want to replace this 40gig with something bigger. I 'think' my existing is a Western Digital ATA133 (IDE) tho' i'm willing to be corrected.
I obviously want to get the same "TYPE" as the existing,,, not necessarily brand-wise !
Can anyone confirm the type of the WD400EB-00CPFO please,,, & where to go for a great deal for a replacement at the moment ? Am looking at 120/160/200 etc.

many thanks
Furkin

Furkin 14:43 04 Mar 2006

PS. If my existing is ATA133,,, Do I need to stick to the '133' ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 04 Mar 2006

You need an IDE hard drive [parallel (PATA) not serial {SATA}]

click here
300GB maxtor £75 fourth from bottom.

Smiler 15:14 04 Mar 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/\'s recommendation is excellent value but will your bios cope with such a large hard disk drive? or any of the ones you have listed?

Furkin 15:58 04 Mar 2006

FRUIT BAT: Thanks - I had assumed (!) it was serial,,, so that's one help.
SMILER: Thanks - I hadn't even thought of that ! All I have from Acer is "Probable upgrades are: Upgrade to High Capacity HDD" Apart from upgrading the RAM (& adding a LG DVD RW as suggested in these pages - thanks)the kit is as original. Does anyone know what the max size might be then please ? It's no use my asking ACER,,, as they seem to be a little lax in the Customer Care department ! thanks so far -- anything else appreciated ?

terryf 16:16 04 Mar 2006

lok at click here to give you the specs for this model, a google search found this

Smiler 16:37 04 Mar 2006

What bios and version does it have?

Furkin 16:44 04 Mar 2006

SMILER: Not sure,,,,, (just been looking into the link supplied by terryf but as my machine is playing up, am having trouble finding what I want ! (am having trouble connecting to links etc,,,, I was taking the opportunity to upgrade the HDD whilst i'm having it doctored !)
Can I find the version without rebooting ? I have Sandra ???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 04 Mar 2006

If its already got a 40G then the BIOS will not be a problem.

You need XP SP2 to overcome the windows recognition limit of 127G.

After that the skies the limit especially with the manufactures drive tools available for download.

Furkin 09:52 05 Mar 2006

Thanks all, it looks like i'll be going for Seagate 120gb PATA (IDE) from e-buyer (Free delivery) One last question, does it matter whether I go for ATA100 or ATA133 ? I'm almost certain that my machine has a 133 bus ?!?!
as usual - great & friendly help.
thanks again --
Furkin

Furkin 09:55 05 Mar 2006

I am running XP & SP2. I also have a copy of what is called Final Edition of XP ?!?! (as opposed to 'beta' version that we may be now using ???) Is there such a thing ? It didn't cost me anything, so it wasn't a 'sales spiel' !
cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?