Which Graphics Card ?

Furkin 08:36 26 Mar 2007

ACER T120 DeskTop AMD 2400+ 1524 RAM. XP Home.
I have just realiesed that my machine has an empty AGP slot. The graphics seem to be 'on-board',,,,, so i'm after a cheapish AGP card - (anything must better than on-board eh ?)
I'm not a gamer, nor do a lot of photo stuff (few bits in PhotoShop etc).
[I was about to take a Matrox from my old machine,,,, but it has no other connection + is getting on a bit !]
I don't want or need to go mad - so any suggestions please ?
Furkin

[email protected] 09:02 26 Mar 2007

Were you happy with it before you noticed the empty slot?

keef66 11:01 26 Mar 2007

If all you do is 2 dimensional, and you're happy with what you see on the monitor, I'd stick with the onboard graphics. You have loads of ram, so the little bit of memory that the o/b graphics borrows shouldn't trouble you. The only other reason to put a graphics card in would be if you were wanting to run a widescreen tft with a high native resolution not supported by the onboard graphics

Furkin 11:14 29 Mar 2007

Hi,
I ended up with a XFX 6200 in the end. Special offer for £15.99. Won't be good enough for everyone,,,, but a start for me.

thanks again for your advice.

keef66 12:10 29 Mar 2007

That's a good price. Where did you get it? I'm looking for one for somebody who wants to run a 20" widescreen tft at it's native resolution, and the o/b graphics won't do it.

Furkin 14:06 02 Apr 2007

It was from SCAN 'TODAY ONLY' list.
They do have some bargains now & then,,,, but the list only runs to about 1-00p.m each day,,, so if you see sommat you like, you have to jump in !

I installed a new G.Force 6200 graphics card today,,,, but ran straight into a problem !
I left my monitor connected to it via VGA just to install it.
It seemed to work (after resetting Resolution etc) but then I noticed that most of the icons were all squiggly (technical term).
Then I noticed that all the desktop was squiggly.
I then tried it using DVI,,,, but get the very same problem.
The actual programs seem to be o.k apart from the icons/address bars etc.
If I go back to my ‘on-board’ graphics, all is well.
I have the resolution settings on 1280 x 1024 for the DVI monitor (HANNS-G 19”)
If I change the resolution, it sometimes looks o.k for a while,,,, but soon reverts to the squiggles. (can I attach a screenshot to these pages ?)
Any ideas please ?
(am putting this out as a new posting as well)
cheers

keef66 10:55 03 Apr 2007

Have you installed the drivers for the new card, either from the disc which came with it, or downloaded from click here?

CodenameCueball 11:13 03 Apr 2007

get a xfx geforce 6200 AGP off play.com for £30 with free postage. works brill and if you choose to get vista, runs aero fine.

Totally-braindead 11:56 03 Apr 2007

keef66 has it I think. I know what you mean by squiggly. Windows has loaded a default driver and is running with this. If you load the proper Nvidia drivers the problem will resolve itself.

Furkin 11:57 03 Apr 2007

KEEF: I used the disc that came with it. ((I was supposed to see & click "TV CAPTURE" whilst installing, but it wasn't one of the options))
I looked at your link, & my specific card (6200) isn't on the list.

Furkin 13:03 03 Apr 2007

T.B.D: It makes sense. The Windows version would have ben used to run the 'on-board' stuff. How do I remove the Windows version ? I don't have the manual for previous graphics. Of course I didn't want to remove anything untill I had the new stuff in,,,, I was scared of losing the monitor for installing the new ?!?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?