Which Graphics card??

sputnick 15:39 23 Oct 2005

I would like to upgrade my present AGP card which is Nvidia GeForce 2.
I`m a bit confused with all the jargon but have been looking at the Nvidia cards but still havn`t decided.
I don`t do a lot of gaming except for MS Flight sim and Combat Sim. and my monitor is a 17" LCD.
Mt budget would be about £80 but I see a few cards for half that price.
Is there any benefit in the Nvidia`s 3 extra graphics capabilities.
I have AMD Athlon XP2800 and 750mhz ram.

aca 15:44 23 Oct 2005

sputnick

look at this thread click here
some of the links will lead you to good cards at your sort of budget

sputnick 13:54 24 Oct 2005

Thanks for the thread, I`m still confused.
What is the difference between LE and GT.

splork 14:07 24 Oct 2005

LE is a real budget job, GT is virtually the same as a standard card only with a higher clock speed for the GPU and memory. If you can stretch to £100 you can afford a Geforce 6600 which is a pretty decent bit of kit for that money.

BigRik 14:24 24 Oct 2005

A few months back I put in a Geforce 6600gt oc (overclocked) card in my PC. It was around £130 then, but you will probably find it cheaper now. That will be a vast leap from your Geforce2.

sputnick 15:54 24 Oct 2005

Thanks all

sputnick 10:32 27 Oct 2005

I`ve just installed Geforce 6600GT and it is great. Installed with no problems, just got to find out what all the functions do.
Thanks for you input.£112 from Dabs.com

sputnick 19:08 03 Nov 2005

OK.
It did work fine.
I normally turn off my PC when I`m not using it, but I had to go out urgently and I left it running in standby for about 4 hours.I then found that the windows screen was garbled with multiple ghost icons. I tried various things such as changing the display properties but no luck.
On certain settings the display flashed on and off.
I turned off and left it for a few hours to see if it would cool down but still the same.
I`ve got the latest driver.
I`ve put my old card back and all is well.
I have arranged for Dabs to replace but I wondered if anyone else has had this problem.
Also I find it most anoying that DAbs don`t have a telephone service.I`ts impossible to contact them when youre PC is dying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?