Which External HDD ?

Furkin 12:34 15 Aug 2008

I'm after a USB HDD.
Preferably one where I can bolt the case to the side of my desk (filing cabinet type).

1/ My existing drives are ATA,,,, does that mean I HAVE to use ATA for external as well ?

2/ Any recommendations please ?
Size ? I suppose the biggest that I can afford. I think I should be able to get something around 400gb for about £50

cheers folks

dogbreath1 13:40 15 Aug 2008

I've got two Buffalo ext. HDD's (500GB each) and they work just fine. Well priced too.

recap 14:02 15 Aug 2008

I second dogbreath1 recommendation as do other members including the FE click here

Furkin 14:26 15 Aug 2008

they do look the dogs dangly bits (pun intended).

As you use them, can you tell me if they would bolt on to the side of my desk ?

Furkin 14:30 15 Aug 2008

followed the link ta - and am impressed.
If I can get one to bolt the case (as above) I'll go for one.
I don't understand the 'Network' / FAT 32 reference - mine is a single home PC etc.

Furkin 14:20 16 Aug 2008

Just to up-date.
It seems that my existing drives are PATA - in that they have a 40pin connector.

Can I use/adapt/add an eSATA connection ?

Acer Aspire T120 (KT400 m/b) - XP Pro - SP3 - 2gb ram.

dogbreath1 21:30 16 Aug 2008

I wouldn't try to bolt them directly to your desk, but perhaps sit them on a narrow shelf fixed to your desk.

My PC uses a NTFS file system whereas the Buffalos are FAT32 (and cannot be converted). Similarly, I don't think it matters a jot which interface your on board HDD uses.

A Buffalo with USB connection will be fine. Had mine for a year or so without any problem. You can even get 1TB Buffalos at a very reasonable price.

Daiol 22:16 16 Aug 2008

Hi Have a look here ::click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?