Which download to listen to radio on the web

Vincent 17:28 31 Aug 2004

Do I have to have Realplayer to listen to radio on the web or watch video clips, or are there other programs that help to do this? Realplayer offers a 10 day trial, but it's price seems to be in dollars, and I don't want to land up importing it from the US. Any suggestions welcome.

Stuartli 18:01 31 Aug 2004

The BBC also has its own player - if you have problems with it it advises to switch to the Real player.

Windows Media Player can also be used, but I've found that despite the problems of RealOne configuration (you have to make sure that it does what YOU want it to do), it brings in a very steady stream even with several browser windows open. That's on dialup...:-)

The latest version of Real, 10, requires you to basically agree to pay for it and to cancel within 14 days if you don't want the Gold version, keeping the basic free option instead.

Too many opportunities for unwanted payments I felt, so I've stuck with RealOne.

rawprawn 18:04 31 Aug 2004

click here for Real Player 10, it is good, but make sure you configure it to do what you want or it will take over. It is the only one you can use to listen to BBC as cga says.

JYPX 18:19 31 Aug 2004

Vincent - If you want Real Player I strongly suggest that you download the BBC version from
click here. Be sure to use this link - if you search on the BBC site you will find all sorts of links to older versions. It's free. I think the reasons why the BBC would insist on offering it's own individual version of Real Player 10 are probably too lengthy to go into here, but if you tend to "trust" the BBC on these matters this is a pretty good option. A good allternative to Real Player would be jetAudio 6 click here ,also free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2018)