Which cable?

  aca 16:39 14 Jan 2009

Appreciate a network forum question but if you can help..

Sorting out wired LAN from router/modem.

Have got a 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch see

click here

Although the actual item differs the spec looks the same.

Will I need a crossover cable to connect to Xbox?

On the documentation (not easy to understand) it looks like I need a crossover cable for my PC, and last night couldn't get a patch cable to work and thats reinforced by the comments on the Ebuyer feedback.

Getting in tangles (sorry!) with the cables.


  DieSse 17:14 14 Jan 2009

From any device to a switch you would normally use a patch cable - not a crossover cable.

Crossover cables are mainly for connecting two devices directly, without a switch or a hub.

  aca 18:12 14 Jan 2009

Tried a patch cable this morning no joy on either PC or Xbox, now fine..

Cant work it out


  Strawballs 22:10 14 Jan 2009

As said before a crossover cable is only used when connecting from PC to PC direct (PC includes Xbox) connecting through Hub,Switch or router a cat5e lead is needed (or cat6e if you have a bit more to spend)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 9 Lite review

How Social Media has Propelled Political Graphic Design and Art in the Last Decade

The best kids apps for iPhone & iPad 2018

HomePod d’Apple : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique