which cable

  Ozy 23:27 26 Jul 2008

i have windows 2000 Pro on an old computer, and it will not accept wireless,
as the puter is at the top of the stairs and router at the bottom, i need a wired connection. looking at cables in ccl i am confused to what i need,
what is the diff between a patch cable, and a crossover cable, and the diff, between cat 5 and cat 6

  Eric10 23:46 26 Jul 2008

Crossover just means that the output at one end of the cable is sent to the input at the other end and vice versa. You only need a crossover cable if you are connecting two computers together without a router. If you are connecting to a router then you need a patch cable as the router sorts out input and output. For home use cat5 or cat5e should be sufficient but cat6 can handle gigabit speeds.

  MarvintheAndroid 20:06 28 Jul 2008

Not sure why you can't use wireless though. OK Windows 2000 doesn't have its own drivers, but there are heaps of 3rd party wireless cards with their own w2k drivers which should work fine.


  skidzy 20:31 28 Jul 2008

I got an old 98se lappy going wirelessly so i would have to agree with Marvin,you should be able to get this going.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?