Wheres msc32.exe and whats 'generic host process'?

Valleys boy 11:05 05 Jan 2005

I've got a couple of questions I hope you knowledgable folk can help me with! I'm running XP Home and have broadband with Talk Talk.

1. When connecting to the internet I get the message 'generic host process for win32 has encountered a problem and needs to close'. When I click OK I don't notice any problems - its just annoying.

2. I installed Norton internet security 2005 and run the live update, but after restarting I got the message 'windows cannot find msc32.exe' and a prompt to browse to where the file is. I performed a search for said file but nothing came up. It stated this is used to run executable files. Where could it have gone?

3. Upon performing a virus check NIS detected an infected file - 'c:\program files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe', infected with the Bloodhound.packed virus, but it could not delete it. This file seems to be trying to access the internet according to NIS, so I blocked it. Anyone know what this file is?

Thanks in advance!

JoeC 11:12 05 Jan 2005

click here for No.3

and

click here for No. 2

JoeC 11:13 05 Jan 2005

for help in getting rid of spyware etc.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?