Where's the hard Drive on an Advent 7026?

s99Raj 15:54 25 Mar 2005

Does anyone know exactly where the hard drive is on an Advent 7026? I want to remove it. I thought it was going to be straightforward, and it probably is.

I've turned it upside down and unscrewed every screw I can see and slid every button I can see (to remove the battery and DVD drive(, but I still can't see the hard drive. It's probably right in front of me, but where??

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Jak_1 16:14 25 Mar 2005

Having not opened my Advent yet (Still has 3 months waranty to run and is working fine) I can't say for sure, but surely it can't be that difficult to locate! Simply follow the ide cable. You don't say why but I assume it's either to relace or slave a new drive.

s99Raj 16:19 25 Mar 2005

"surely it can't be that difficult to locate!"

Precisely what I think!! But I can't see it! Am I going mad?!? I've opened up laptops before and there it is! But this one is driving me bonkers.

I want to do it because I want to attach it to a PC as a slave to get some files off it. At the moment it sticks on the "Windows is starting.." page. I've even done a non-destructive restore using the CD that came with it which should install Windows but leave all the user settings and folders alone. When I've got those off I'll try a complete restore.

Jak_1 16:24 25 Mar 2005

Hm! I would have thought that it would easy to be able to trace it from the motherboard! However a lot depends upon how much you want to transfer!

I would sugest networking the two and do the transfer that way if it is a large anound.

ensonricky 16:26 25 Mar 2005

The hard drive is at the front on the bottom of the base at the far right hand side. There are two screws to remove and a finger grip to slide the cover off that includes on of the supports.
Once open there is a third screw to remove. The case can then be slid out via a metal handle.
The metal case can then be extracted from the HDD by removing thre further screws.

s99Raj 16:33 25 Mar 2005

Aha!!! thanks ensonricky. I did look in there but it didn't look big enough - not until you pull it out anyway, like you said. And there it is! (wish it was labelled on the outside!)

ensonricky 16:38 25 Mar 2005

Good luck with your file transfer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?