Where should I go???

golfpro 16:56 07 Apr 2005

I need advice. The capacity on my old computer (40gb) is getting near the end now that I have a digital SLR Camera. However I have in the last year upgraded to 512mb RAM and USB2 connection etc. etc. and its working fine.
The only thing I need now is a new 17" monitor (I think I have already decided on this, (Acer AL 1715 MS). My problem is do I buy a completely new set up with all the problems, or just go with the monitor and an outboard 160gb hard drive. I can have this for 300 Euros, were as a new computer would cost approx. 8 to 900 Euros (I live in Austria).
If anyone has been through this, I would appreciate your help.

Kate B 17:04 07 Apr 2005

If everything else is fine then I would stick with the idea of buying a new monitor and perhaps buying an external hard drive to use for data if you don't fancy digging about installing a new drive in the case. I've got a Maxtor OneTouch 120GB hard drive that sits neatly on my desk. I use it for backup but you could easily store all your data on it and just keep the internal drive for system files.

Diemmess 17:06 07 Apr 2005

You seem to have considered the pros and cons. I would go for an external HD and use it exclusively for data unless you buy a whopper and
keep an image of C: there as well.

Eventually.......... you will want to start from scratch, but if you already have a good external HD and a new monitor that will mean just a new "box."

Charence 17:39 07 Apr 2005

If you are happy with your current computer (perfomance, settings, etc.). I think it will be a lot easier/cheaper/time saving to just buy a monitor and additional HDD.

golfpro 18:58 07 Apr 2005

Thanks a lot guys and gal, I had to make a decision soon, and I will go for the ex HD and new monitor, it will save a lot of problems and give me what I want for the next few years. Now who wants a good 15" Philips TIF monitor cheap.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?