Where is my CD this month?

Housten 11:52 10 Oct 2015

Good Morning, Gentlemen, I have just been handed this month's magazine by my wife. I, usually up to this month, get a CD with the magazine - as I have paid for it - the last time being a 6 month subscription taken by Direct Debit on 15th June 2015. Does anyone have any idea why the DVD has been omitted?

bumpkin 19:12 10 Nov 2015

You stated " usually up to this month, get a CD with the magazine - as I have paid for it - the last time being a 6 month subscription taken by Direct Debit on 15th"

Then why do you expect a DVD anyway if you have only paid for the CD version.

Forum Editor 06:54 11 Nov 2015

"After the FE telling me what I should do with Windows 10 - he did not agree with my thoughts - I had decided not to bother with this forum again as he had made me so angry. I started a reply to him, but gave up halfway through as I didn't think he was worth the trouble."

I'm sorry I made you angry by not agreeing with your thoughts. As I recall, the other two respondents to your thread didn't agree with you either.

Housten 16:34 12 Nov 2015

“bumpkin” you stated “usually up to this month, get a CD with the magazine - as I have paid for it - the last time being a 6 month subscription taken by Direct Debit on 15th" Then why do you expect a DVD anyway if you have only paid for the CD version.’ I apologise for omitting the month - it was in June this year.

You obviously live in a wonderful world, where no-one ever makes the slightest error! When I wrote my original query I was not in the best of frame of mind OR if you prefer – to be pedantic – I was annoyed. I still think of DVD’s as a CD and so that was the term I used. I have had the DVD version of the magazine for some considerable time now. If you wish to check that I do get the DVD version, why don’t you get the FE or someone in the subscription department ( I give you permission for that! ) to check out how long I have been getting it. As they are independent ( !!!! ) you should be able to take their word, instead of taking the Michael out of a pensioner.

FE : I read your reply yesterday morning as we were about to go to our friends for lunch, and my following comments will annoy some people I am certain, but doesn’t mean I should – or will – alter my attitude.

Your first comment was “If you were prepared to download and install Windows 10, and you obviously were, why on earth did you put off the installation? It doesn't make any kind of sense to me.” and your second was “I'm sorry I made you angry by not agreeing with your thoughts. As I recall, the other two respondents to your thread didn't agree with you either.”

What made me angry was that a person in your position couldn’t think of ANY reason why I would want to download Windows 10 but not install it. The other two people you were referring to had their opinions, to which they were, and are, entitled.

Perhaps this may assist your thought processes: My wife and I are both pensioners and have computers with Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium as their OS. You know nothing about my or our lives but were quite happy to consider and judge me as being stupid for not installing 10. You may say that wasn’t what you said, and you would be correct, but your comment certainly gave that impression. Does this help you to make some kind of sense of my thoughts and comments, in any way whatsoever?? Probably not.

bumpkin 16:54 12 Nov 2015

* instead of taking the Michael out of a pensioner.*

I was not taking the Micky, I used to subscribe to the CD version until I upgraded it to DVD what you posted was unclear.

Jim Martin 17:07 12 Nov 2015

@iscanut2 As I've said, we are more than happy to do so if you email us.

Also - for everyone else's benefit - as far as I'm aware there is only one subscription price / type. There hasn't been an option to pay less and get a CD instead of a DVD. All CD subscribers were moved to DVD a while back.

Forum Editor 17:41 12 Nov 2015

"You know nothing about my or our lives but were quite happy to consider and judge me as being stupid for not installing 10."

I don't need to know anything about your lives, this is a computer help forum. What we do here is offer help and advice to people with computer problems. You didn't ask for help or advice, you simply wanted to rant about Microsoft. You've done this kind of thing before, and you choose to take umbrage with anyone ventures to disagree with you. I chose to disagree with you, and you didn't like it, so you got angry.

You've decided that I thought you were stupid. I didn't say that or anything like it, but that doesn't stop you deciding that you know what I meant.

I've been down this road with you in the past, and I realise that there's nothing much I can say that will convince you, but I did not intend to offend you. It simply made no sense whatsoever to download Windows 10 unless you intended to install it, and that's all I said. If you don't like the idea of the automatic download, then delete it, or stop it, or whatever you wish to do. Ultimately you will need to install it however, and if you do it from a version that you download now it will be hopelessy out of date when you finally decide to go ahead. Far better to do the installation now, and let it update itself as you go along.

That's it - I'm done with this.

bumpkin 18:26 12 Nov 2015

as far as I'm aware there is only one subscription price / type. There hasn't been an option to pay less and get a CD instead of a DVD. All CD subscribers were moved to DVD a while back.

There was that option once but if it has changed I was unaware of it not having been a subscriber for some time, at least that clarifies things.

alanrwood 18:54 12 Nov 2015

Neither was I.

However lets stick to the original subject (the change from a hardware DVD to a download without a corresponding change in subscription rate) and not go off topic

bumpkin 20:26 12 Nov 2015

However lets stick to the original subject

Fine, if I had paid for a DVD by subscription I would expect a DVD until the subscription expired or a clear explanation and a refund for those not received.

simonjary 06:11 13 Nov 2015

With each subscriber copy we did send out an explanation of why we (and every other PC magazine) no longer include a disc anymore, and Matt repeated that explanation in this thread.

We have apologised if this was not obvious, but there was a letter sent with the magazine to every subscriber.

As for refunds, the physical cost of each disc was around 10p. We decided against reducing the subscription or newsstand cover price by 10p for a number of reasons. One of those reasons was that we haven't raised the price of the magazine for some time, while paper and print costs have risen quite dramatically.

Publishing a print magazine these days is a tough business, especially with declining sales caused by free Internet versions and retailer tactics. We have to pay WH Smith an annual fee to even have the magazines on sale in its shops. This has now reached a point where we actually lose money on each copy sold in Smiths.

It's just as bad in the supermarkets, where most of our sales occur. If Tesco decides it wants to sell more packets of Quavers or tins of beans it simply asks publishers for more promotional spend or it reduces the magazine shelves and de-lists those magazines that don't comply.

On the subscriber front we are hit by rising postal costs. If we had put the price up every time the cost of postage went up the magazine subscription would cost a third again what it does now!

So that's the basic economics of the magazine print trade today. The main reason we stopped the disc was not to save money (10p per issue) but because software developers no longer wanted to have their programs on disc. They want downloads only, which we provide.

The reason we can't pass the 10p saving on to subscribers or newsstand buyers is that we have not passed on any of these rising costs for a number of years, and now we have had to – not by increasing the price as others have, but by not reducing it by 10p per issue.

This is an industry-wide decision, seen not just by IDG but Dennis and Future for their PC magazines too. Future recently closed PC Format, and Dennis quit the cover-disc business over a year ago while we struggled on. Sadly we had to take the same decision this year.

If subscribers wish to cancel their subscriptions, then please contact the Marketing Manager who will aid you in this process.

We'd love to keep you as subscribers, and thank you for your loyal years with us, but you have every right to cancel and receive a refund, and we will make that as easy as we can for you. Meanwhile we will continue to publish PC Advisor as long as we can, despite every economic factor being waged against us!

Regards,

Simon Jary

Publisher, PC Advisor

1]: [click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs