When typing into a website, when is the data sent?

fletcherp5w 21:23 02 Jan 2018

When typing into a website (for example: posting on a forum, filling out a form on the web, or using Google), are the words you type sent to the website while you type, or not until you click the Search, Send, Save, or Post button?

When I have Javascript enabled, Google returns search suggestions as I type, so I'd assume my search query is sent as I type, even before I press Search. But what if Javascript isn't enabled? And what about other websites?

I've been searching without success for an answer to this, and I'd appreciate any help.

Forum Editor 22:40 02 Jan 2018

data submitted via a form is sent to the server when you click the 'submit' button.

You can stop your browser from offering suggestions by turning off the facility in the options section in the settings.

fletcherp5w 23:48 03 Jan 2018

Thanks for the timely response! However, the research I've found so far says that Google's search suggestions are provided by Google itself. Doesn't that mean my search queries are being sent to Google's servers while I type?

click here

hrefdocset/xmlreference/querysuggestion.html

Forum Editor 08:21 04 Jan 2018

"Doesn't that mean my search queries are being sent to Google's servers while I type?"

Yes, but that is not the question you asked, you wanted to know about website form submissions. Search terms are different.

fletcherp5w 22:15 04 Jan 2018

See my first post – I'm asking about data submission to all kinds of websites, including message boards and search engines:

"When typing into a website (for example: posting on a forum, filling out a form on the web, or using Google), (…) When I have Javascript enabled, Google returns search suggestions as I type (…) But what if Javascript isn't enabled? And what about other websites?"

Put another way, which websites send the data to their servers while I'm typing it, and which ones wait until I click Submit? Does turning off Javascript make a difference?

Forum Editor 22:46 04 Jan 2018

Back in 2010, Google introduced something called instant search,which automatically populates search results as you type in a query - results pages were provided in real time. The idea was to save millions of seconds each hour by cutting the time it took users to type search queries.

The world moved on, and last summer Google realised that more than half of all search queries are now typed into smartphone browsers, and small touch screens plus lists of suggestions scrolling down did not exactly make for a good user experience. The decision was made to drop instant search altogether.

You have always been able to turn it off, but now it's gone forever.

Lots of people confuse instant search with autofill, which still provides search result suggestions as you type, but no pages are loaded until you hit the enter key. You can of course turn off autofill in your browser options.

fletcherp5w 00:19 05 Jan 2018

^^ Thanks again for the response.

It looks like I haven't been clear enough with my question, so I'll try again.

Let's say I type the words "tech help" into a website. (Just for example: I type it into the search bar on Google, OR I type it into the "Post a Reply" text editor on Tech Advisor.) But I don't click the Post/Search button. Will the website (Google/Tech Advisor) know that I typed the words "tech help"?

fletcherp5w 00:40 05 Jan 2018

^ And to be clearer: I know the website won't make a post or return search results if I don't click Submit. What I'm interested in knowing: Can it tell that I typed the words "tech help"?

Govan1x 08:21 05 Jan 2018

It seems that they are sent without you pressing the enter button and they have the information whether you send it or not.

Click Here

fletcherp5w 02:34 08 Jan 2018

Much appreciated! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

According to the Gizmodo report, not all websites do it. Is there a way to tell if a website collects your typed data without you pressing the enter button? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

wee eddie 03:46 08 Jan 2018

Fletch: the problem is your use of the word "website", when I think that you probably mean "Search Engine".

If you type a message into this Forum or many other sites where you are corresponding with or through them, perhaps you would describe it as writing letters. Nothing goes until you press the Send Button

If, however you are on Google, Amazon, Duck Duck Go or eBay, or any other Search Engine for that matter, the Site knows what you are typing from the first key that you hit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)