What's a firewire please?

  Halmer 07:11 20 Jan 2006

I know that I have one on my new PC and I now realise that the two little TV screens were appearing in the bottom rihjt hand corner re this but what is it?

  Forum Editor 07:21 20 Jan 2006

is the brand name for a high-speed data transfer technology that was originally developed by Apple computers. It is also referred to as IEEE-1394. You'll find the special firewire connector at the back of your computer. Common uses for FireWire include data transfers with external hard drives, Camcorders, webcams, Apple iPods.

  wee eddie 07:49 20 Jan 2006

The first is as FE explains it.

The second is a piece of software that, when up-to-date, protects your PC against Worms and Trojans that might use your PC to contact others.

A better description of Worms, Trojans and Firewalls can be found by putting the words into Google or Ask.

  wee eddie 07:51 20 Jan 2006

refer to connections with other PC's.

Either, over the Internet, or as part of a network.

  Halmer 21:32 20 Jan 2006

The two little screens that were appearing at the bottom right of my PC, which I thought was my internet connection, I have found out is a firewire con. It is at the front of my PC.

  VoG II 22:03 20 Jan 2006
  woodchip 22:17 20 Jan 2006

Or if you are connected By Dial-Up modem, not Broadband the TV's are for that. I don't think they are for a Network as I doubt you have got round to that yet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?