Whats the difference between Retail and OEM XP

Midsman2005 18:05 13 Aug 2005

Hi,

Just following on from another thread which has left me scratching my head a little bit.

What is the difference between an OEM version of Windows XP and a Retail version of WIndows XP?

Fatbelly 18:07 13 Aug 2005

This one always baffles me but I think that the difference is that an OEM version is for one particular PC and is not transferable. Whereas a retail version can be transfered to another PC.

Fatbelly 18:08 13 Aug 2005

This one always baffles me but I think that the difference is that an OEM version is for one particular PC and is not transferable. Whereas a retail version can be transfered to another PC.

dave_and_confused 18:11 13 Aug 2005

Retail full version which can be transferred for one PC to another.

OEM "dies with the machine" - i.e. nonm transferable.

Also Retail you get support for Microsoft.

OEM - No Support for MS but all support comes from Pc manufacturer. If they go bust = No Support. If you build PC = On your own....

dave_and_confused 18:12 13 Aug 2005

Retail = full version which can be transferred from one PC to another.
OEM "dies with the machine" - i.e. non transferable.

Also Retail you get support from Microsoft.

OEM - No Support from MS but all support comes from Pc manufacturer. If they go bust = No Support. If you build PC = On your own....

Midsman2005 18:14 13 Aug 2005

I see now :-)

woodchip 18:34 13 Aug 2005

If You get a Full OEM XP CD it can be used on another computer after about 3 months just like a normal XP disc. OEM is what Manufacturers get cheaper by the dozen for loading on all there computer. It's called a monopoly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)