What is/was DVD RAM

wobbler 20:14 18 Dec 2005

Can someone please explain what the difference is between a DVD RAM disk drive and a DVD RW drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:16 18 Dec 2005

A DVD format wherein DVD-RAM discs can be recorded and erased repeatedly but are only compatible with devices manufactured by the companies that support the DVD-RAM format. DVD-RAM discs are typically housed in cartridges. DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Apple Computer, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp. These formats are also supported by the DVD Forum.

Short for DVD-ReWritable, a re-recordable DVD format similar to CD-RW or DVD+RW. The data on a DVD-RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium. DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Apple Computer, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp. These formats are also supported by the DVD Forum.

Catastrophe 22:32 18 Dec 2005

"DVD-RAM discs are typically housed in cartridges."

I hesitate to disagree with you but there are different types of DVD-RAM some of which are NOT housed in cartridges. I have several DVD-RAM drives which share compatibility with my Panasonic DVD players.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?