what is the very best way to delete all files on a

laptopdunce 15:34 24 Jun 2017

laptop, this is a different thread now that I have got my files off a faulty laptop thanks to Fruitbat and Lotvic, now I want to delete all the history on the faulty laptop so that no passwords or anything can be traced back if I sell it on ebay, what should I do to make it foolproof that none of the passwords or details are left on the HD? should I use CCleaner to wipe the HD at the highest settings? thanks Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 16:25 24 Jun 2017

I mean I want to delete everything on a wwindows 8.1 laptop with a view to selling it on, so need to make sure everything is fully deleted, I did one before and "formatted the drive" but the buyer said they found some of my passwords on it still, so I need to make sure I wipe the HD totally before i list it

Jollyjohn 18:50 24 Jun 2017

Replace the hard drive and take a hammer to the old one! In fact if the laptop is faulty as you say, usb not working, then selling it for "Spares or repair" without a hard drive will probably raise as much on eBay as if you bother to replace the hard drive and reinstall the OS. If there is a W8 licence sticker on the laptop then I would bid for it when you list it.

laptopdunce 19:00 24 Jun 2017

idont believe setting to factory restore is 100% safe either, Idontknow how to removethe HD and thereisnt an actual windows sticker on this one but its an acer E5-511-PODM and system shows it as running 8.1 windows, Iam still using it on the ethernet cable and only tuch pad and keyboard as no seperate keyboardmuse will connect and I still have issues with connecting an old windows 7 laptop to myrouter!!! its a mess, but thank God fruitebat and lotvic diercted meto get the files off this one!! I am often away so may not list this one till net mnonth, I thought of startingit at £40 it was nearly £500 new in 2013 laptopdunce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 24 Jun 2017

If you download the zip file I linked to in your other thread and transfer it to the win 8.1 machine via your network link.

open the zip file and run the file to install the the drivers then your usb will probably work again.

laptopdunce 20:15 24 Jun 2017

fruitbat, oh I will look at that again and see if I can transfer it to the windows 8.1 laptop, at the moment I only have the 8.1 laptop connnected via the yellow ehternet cable as talktalk cant figure out why it wont connect on wifi to the router (or my windows 7 laptop in bedroom - its a real pain!!!) I thought it was better to make a new thread as clearing the Hard drive wasnt the same subject as the ubs problem thanks laptopdunce (wish you were here to sort this out in person!!! do you do house calls?)

laptopdunce 22:32 24 Jun 2017

Guess what, Fruitbat, I managed to go straight into the acer site and downloaded the zip file of the chipset drivers for my model W8.1 laptop and then I opened them and it started the install wizard and all was going well until the very end and then a window came up saying error downloading file cannot execute (or soemthing) so that didnt work either, I think this w8 laptop is jinxed, but at least I have the old w8 with printer working on wifi now, that is a great relief. thanks laptopdunce - I bet you could fix that w8 laptop if you were here!!

laptopdunce 17:47 04 Jul 2017

Now the W8 laptop is only showing "preparing automatic repair" when I start it up, and this goes on for AGES!! so it looks like I cant even wipe the HD on this rotten laptop now! I have a feeling I am going to have to take a hammer to this rotten junk and just destroy the thing!! I dont know if it is possible to get it started again now. thanks Laptopdunce

lotvic 18:13 04 Jul 2017

Calm down and stick to your new thread click here to deal with wiping the harddrive and resetting to Factory defaults

laptopdunce 07:12 05 Jul 2017

I cant find that bit in "click here" on how to wipe hard drive, problem is it is stuck in the "please wait" on the Acer page and even with ALT+F10 it wont rever to the factory settings page. Ive tried pressing SHIFT+F11 too and it only shows "please wait" and left it on all night and still showing that and the rotating circle of dots, there must be something really wrong with it if I cant even get it to recover to factory settings, laptopdunce

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)