What spec to look out for when buying a laptop/pc

Limubhai 15:40 01 Apr 2018
Answered

Hi, I am now tired of being lied to by sellers. So far I have bought 8 laptops and they have all let me down. I have been selling them on for half the price. I need someone’s honest advice. I need a laptop that won’t be expensive as I’m not rich and cannot afford a new one, so will have to settle for a preowned one. Now the question is:- When buying a Laptop/Pc, what should I look out for. I need a PC that will not hang or slow down when I want to do more than one thing and have many windows, programs and stuff open as well as download stuff. I am not new to laptops but don’t have that much knowledge to what to buy and spec.

Your help you be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Belatucadrus 15:44 01 Apr 2018
Answer

What programs ? the resource load on software varies a lot so if you can list all the programs you are likely to run simultaneously, the experts can probably give you an idea as to what spec to look for.

Quickbeam 16:07 01 Apr 2018

Can I have you're next one...?

bremner 17:02 01 Apr 2018

Most importantly what is your budget?

rdave13 17:41 01 Apr 2018
  alanrwood 19:16 01 Apr 2018

Actually triplicate.

Limubhai 19:37 01 Apr 2018

Hi, I’m sorry for duplicate posts. Long story why I did it.

Thanks for the replies.

I generally run Word, excel, google chrome, Downloading files and sometimes have iTunes. iTunes slows the pc down so much it’s annoying and I end up deleting it. Someone suggested getting an i5, 8gb ram and a SSD, I’m not sure what benefits a solid state drive has but please direct me. Many thanks

bumpkin 21:06 01 Apr 2018

Imagine a triangle with the sides with the sides "good" "cheap" and "reliable" you can pick any two you wish but all three you can't get.

wee eddie 00:28 02 Apr 2018

An SSD speeds Program Loading and Start-up, that's about it. File retrieval is faster with an SSD but we are talking of milliseconds so it doesn't really matter

Limubhai 02:25 02 Apr 2018

Why does iTunes slow my pc down? It’s so annoying as can’t do much else even in the background

wee eddie 03:14 02 Apr 2018

What is the specification of the PC that is being slowed down?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 8 Review

Adobe confirms it’s working on a full Photoshop for the iPad

Apple announces new MacBook Pros for 2018

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?