What is needed/how to run PC& Laptop on same ADSL?

[email protected] 08:23 02 Sep 2005

As I am "unable" to access my computer more and more frequently these days (daughter is using it!)I am going to buy a laptop. I currently have Pipex Broad Band at 2MBPS on the PC using a wired modem provided by Pipex. I would ideally like to use the Laptop wirelessly and it has Intel Pro Wireless mini lan as well as a 56k data Modem.I am pretty much in the dark about wireless technology.I am presuming that I need to buy a "Wireless Modem router" but have no idea as to whether
A) It can serve both PC and Laptop
B) If you can use (and pay for ) just one BBand provider but use two machines on it at the same time (I am guessing that it would at least halve the speeds of each connection if not more?)
C) would you need two routers or one?
D) Would you need to "Network" the two PC's?
As you can see I really haven't a clue- in all probability, both PC and Laptop would rarely be online atthe same time, however the PC is stationed upsatirs and I would use the laptop downstairs.
All advice/help/links much appreciated!
Thanks!

Diodorus Siculus 08:31 02 Sep 2005

With a modem /router in one you can connect wirelessly through the house.

click here for a similar thread.

A) It can serve both PC and Laptop - YES and more than two if you want

B) If you can use (and pay for ) just one BBand provider but use two machines on it at the same time - more than likely but will depend on your ISP

C) would you need two routers or one? - One

D) Would you need to "Network" the two PC's? - No

dave_and_confused 08:33 02 Sep 2005

a) Yes
b) Yes but you both get half speed
c) One
d) No

You replace the modem with the modem / router and plug into the PC. The manual will tell you how to set up the router and then you configure the laptop to pick up the wireless signal.

Fairly straight forward.

Diodorus Siculus 08:37 02 Sep 2005

click here too.

Further to the comment by dave_and_confused, as I understand it, it will be half speed if both are downloading or otherwise using all bandwidth at the same time. For regular browsing, there will be little noticible difference.

[email protected] 08:43 02 Sep 2005

Thank-you, I knew I'd get straight forward help on this forum!
So last question here (for the moment :), do I let Pipex know this is what I want to do or just go ahead and buy the router etc and then use the same Pipex settings on the laptop as on the PC ?
Am going to read your links now.
Thanks again.

[email protected] 08:48 02 Sep 2005

Diodorus, Curry's are offering a 108 MBps Super Wireless ADSL Router and USB Adapter Package at 89.99 which they say is half price, would that make a significant difference to performance? Also (dumb question and I think I know the answer but...) does the wireless lan thing in the laptop mean that it will pick up the wireless signal without needing an antennae?

Diodorus Siculus 08:57 02 Sep 2005

Other Pipex users will be best able to advise on this but you should be ok sharing it.

the 108 MBps Super Wireless ADSL Router and USB Adapter Package at 89.99 seems good value; worth shopping around for it though.

If you have a pcworld near by, you can look at it on the web, see the web price, see if it is available in your local store and order it for pick up there at the reduced price.

The wireless lan thing :-) will pick it up for you.

[email protected] 09:18 02 Sep 2005

Thanks! The collect in store at web price at PC World is great, I ordered my printer using it, picked it up off the display in the store and paid £30 less than the price instore!

Taff36 09:59 02 Sep 2005

I`m with Pipex and the setup should be no problem although I haven`t done it with the D-Link on this ISP (Plenty of others though Dio!) Pipex support is very good so you shouldn`t have any problems.

Diodorus Siculus 10:07 02 Sep 2005

Taff36 has indeed done lots of them, mine included!

[email protected] 10:35 02 Sep 2005

Thanks all- will check out which router to get- incidentally on ebuyer you can buy Netgear DG834GT ADSL Modem and 108Mbps 802.11g Wireless Router with FREE WG511T PC Card (or with a USB adapter). Could you tell me what the PC card is for and if I would need one?
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?