What is this on my laptop?

  daniellabell 12:20 02 Apr 2010


I have a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC dv4 1000ea.
For some time I have wondered what something is on my laptop that is just below the keyboard on the bottom right hand corner.

It is a silver square about the size of a thumb print with a black bar going across it and I can't work out what it is.

Does anyone know what this is? I have tried to locate my laptop manual but cannot find it and searching the internet for 'silver square black bar laptop' isn't the most specific search so I am having no luck!

Can anyone solve this mystery for me?

Thanks, Danielle

  ronalddonald 12:26 02 Apr 2010

ya get userbook with the laptop if so refer there

  The Kestrel 12:31 02 Apr 2010

You can download the manual for your laptop from click here and then look up your mysterious silver square.

Ronalddonald, you obviously didn't read the 3rd paragraph of the posting!

  Newuser939 12:33 02 Apr 2010

Is it not for fingerprint recognition?

  daniellabell 12:38 02 Apr 2010

Thank you I found it is:
A Fingerprint reader (select models only) Allows a fingerprint logon to Windows, instead of a password logon.

Thank you for your help!

  robin_x 17:33 02 Apr 2010

Hmmmm...great intention.

How many people will use it worldwide then, sadly,
lose that finger in a terrible accident?

Always keep a backup finger in a safe place :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts