what i need for network

  jagsman 23:56 01 Aug 2005

I am looking to build a wireless network to share my broadband internet connection between 2 desktop PCs. At the moment i have a NTL cable modem connected to my PC via a USB cable and i would like to share the internet connection with my daughters PC in her room. What i am not to sure about is what hardware i need to do this. I know i need a router,( but im not sure which type). I dont know what adapters i need ( USB or PCI) .

  tasslehoff burrfoot 00:05 02 Aug 2005

you can create an ad-hoc network between 2 PCs and share the internet connection between them. The problem with this is the computer with the modem attached must be switched on for the other to get online.

With a router, this is obviously not a problem.

AIUI there is no performance difference between PCI cards and USB thingies so I guess it's up to.

With regard to the router, check the box before buying and make sure it says it's compatible on it.



  Tim1964 01:00 02 Aug 2005

As Tasslehoff Burrfoot says, the simplest method would be to buy two USB wireless 'dongles' (about £15 ea.)and plug them into a spare USB port on each machine. Run the internet connection sharing wizard, and you're off (or should that be on?)

It seems to be a more popular choice, by 'those in the know' that using a network card is less resource hungry than USB for the PC to modem connection and I would recommend swapping it over to the NIC connection.

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless (+ wired) router and a USB adapter for my laptop, which came to about £60

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?