what has happen to my word files

MJS WARLORD 21:56 30 May 2018

On all of my word files stored in my documents the W for word has vanished from the corner of each document , each document icon is now a small square with lines on it with the top right corner folded over but they all open in word as they should anyway , I would just like to know why this happened.

wee eddie 21:57 30 May 2018

What version of Office are you running?

wee eddie 22:08 30 May 2018

Have you got your PC setup to display "file extensions", if so, what is the extension on your Word files. Sounds like .txt to me.

wee eddie 22:16 30 May 2018

The logo you describe is the .docx logo.

MJS WARLORD 22:44 30 May 2018

eddie the docs that suddenly changed from the old W icon are in fact docx done on word 2007 but the mystery is why the icon changed.

The only word docs not changed are some very old ones done in 2003.

don't know why they changed today , are you saying docx should have the square with lines on with the folded corner like a notepad icon.

wee eddie 23:04 30 May 2018

I'm on my phone until 4am so research is difficult. I believe that support for 2007 finished recently but I have no idea if that is relevant

Menzie 00:33 31 May 2018

Sounds like the Wordpad icon is appearing instead of Word for some reason.

Try clearing the Windows icon cache and see if it restores it to the previous icon

MJS WARLORD 17:03 31 May 2018

How do you clear windows icon cache

Menzie 18:55 31 May 2018

There's a guide here.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Design a vector map packed with creatures and landmarks

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment désactiver la lecture automatique des vidéos sur Chrome ?