What Free anti virus software? AVG 8?

hawthorn59 14:12 07 May 2008

Hi,

I need to get a free anti virus software for a friend. I myself have AVG 7.5 and its fine. But now I notice they're offering AVG 8 as the latest free download. Is it safe and reliable? I read a few issues about it.

He used to have Avast and I could get that, but it doesnt scan every day.

thanks

h

RobCharles1981 14:20 07 May 2008

I did try AVG 8 as a trial I didn't like it, so I have reverted back to Avast does the job fine for me. The trouble with AVG 8 I found it has a conflict with Spyware Blaster.

Belatucadrus 14:58 07 May 2008

A couple of things you can do to avast!
1) Go to Display properties / Screen saver and select avast!antivirus from the drop down menu, avast will now run a sequential scan whenever the PC is idle.
2) Set a scan using Windows scheduler using the instructions here click here

Pineman100 15:40 07 May 2008

I downloaded/installed AVG Free 8.0 on a newly reformatted and reinstalled XP computer, a couple of days ago.

I've read several threads on this forum that indicate a few problems with version 8.0, but I haven't experienced these. Everything seems to be OK so far.

provider 2 15:56 07 May 2008

I`m not sure of what you mean by saying Avast! doesn`t scan every day:

click here

You might want to check out "What`s new in version 4.8" also.

hawthorn59 18:34 07 May 2008

OK i uninstalled McAfee for him, and installed Avast. however it hung for a while and perhaps wasnt installed perectly. Eventually it worked, but I couldnt help feeling things were running a bit slower. So I uninstalled it and installed AVG 7.5 for him. All seems to be ok now.

As regards daily scan, AVG scans my laptop every day....I thought I read that avast doesnt? Im not sure.

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?