what is UP email?

palinka 15:55 22 Feb 2010

I sent an email from my @yahoo.co.uk address to a friend who has a btinternet address. It came back with the following message:
"The following message to [email protected]> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 554-'Message not allowed - UP Email not accepted for policy reasons. Please visit
click here [120]'"
I cannot recall the contents of the email, but it was not even remotely like spam and it was sent only to that single recipient.
What is UP email??

Technotiger 15:58 22 Feb 2010

Supposedly University of the Philipines, but I would run all your anti-everything programs ASP.

Rahere 16:01 22 Feb 2010

I suggest you click on your link or google the phrase - this explains the possible reasons which seem to be relayed mail, blocked email or IP address: Now contact BT/yahoo to sort this out as they are the only people who can explain their mail policies!

Woolwell 18:28 22 Feb 2010

First Google click here

palinka 18:50 22 Feb 2010

I have submitted a report (as per Woolwell's suggestion). Based on previous experience it will take 48 hrs for Yahoo to acknowledge receipt of that report and a further week for a "real" answer from Yahoo - but that will take the form of another report form on which I will repeat the same information that I have just sent to them - and then I will hear nothing more.

Th content of the email was simply 2 words -"Test 4" - as I was trying to discover whether my friend was receiving my emails; tests 1,2,& 3 had been sent from my other email addresses.

Woolwell 20:04 22 Feb 2010

I suspect that too many e-mails with similar words and little else triggered their spam filter.

palinka 22:49 22 Feb 2010

Alas, Woolwell, I find that Yahoo/BT have draconian filters that interrupt a LOT of mail - often without real reason. I have had to resort to test messages (sometimes sent from my "spare" and inconvenient-to-use addresses) because ever since Yahoo took over BT I have been unable to rely on my emails being delivered to either of those addresses. I am not alone in this experience.

Woolwell 23:56 22 Feb 2010

Have you considered Google mail?

palinka 09:50 23 Feb 2010

No, at least, not yet - because I have an address book of approx 300 contacts & I regularly send emails to around 100-150 of those but I have a problem ONLY with those few (approx 20) who use BT/Yahoo.

Rahere 11:36 23 Feb 2010

My guess is if you are sending the same message to all 100-150 people you might be classed as a bulk sender so that might trigger a block on certain accounts which are managed aggressively for spam or potential unwanted mail.

palinka 14:24 23 Feb 2010

No, Rahere - I NEVER send the same emails to 100 people; I mentioned that number to explain that the problem is solely with a relatively small number of addresses out of that 100 or so - and the problem ones are all BT/Yahoo addresses.
With BT/Yahoo it isn't that the owners of the adresses "manage them agressively" - it's BT/Yahoo that persist in sending perfectly innocuous emails into trash.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts