What does the Windows Logo Key DO?

Pesala 21:19 20 May 2003

I just discovered this key on my keyboard, to the left of control, and to the right of the Windows key and Alter Gr. It doesn't seem to do anything at all in Windows ME. Anybody out there using it to make the coffee or something?

Djohn 21:30 20 May 2003

Click it while you are on-line and it will do the samw as a right click of the mouse. off-line, the same thing. J.

Gongoozler 21:36 20 May 2003

On my Windows 98se system it brings up the Start button menu. I've never found any real use for it. I think it may be useful for programs that give a View - Full Screen option (Try this in IE)

Gongoozler 21:39 20 May 2003

Sorry, I was confusing the keys. I was referring the the Windows logo key. Pesala was referring to the key with the menu symbol.

VoG™ 21:42 20 May 2003

It does exactly the same as a right mouse click - i.e. brings up a Context Menu.

Djohn 21:43 20 May 2003

Yss, that is the function of the key, it brings up the same menu as a right mouse click, can be usefull at times. J.

slowhand_1000 21:44 20 May 2003

Mine brings up my start menu, as does the other one on the opposite side. Have had to use it a few times when pc boots up and low batteries in mouse mean I have to navigate using the 'Windows' key and arrows keys to get to shutdown rather than reset button.

slowhand_1000 21:45 20 May 2003

W98se.

Mine brings up my start menu, as does the other one on the opposite side. Have had to use it a few times when pc boots up and low batteries in mouse mean I have to navigate using the 'Windows' key and arrows keys to get to shutdown rather than reset button.

slowhand_1000 21:47 20 May 2003

Read question properly first. Brings up conrent menu.

Djohn 21:48 20 May 2003

No we mean the one between the right windows key and right Ctrl, it's a menu key. Regards. J.

Djohn 21:48 20 May 2003

No we mean the one between the right windows key and right Ctrl, it's a menu key. Regards. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts