What to do when u sell your laptop

Bike-it 17:28 17 Aug 2019

I have just sold my laptop and i know i need to get all my things off it and set it to factory settings, so what is the best way to do this? also will i need to update windows and all the drivers when i reboot the laptop the first time after resetting?

WhirlingRound 19:04 17 Aug 2019

Presumably the buyer has yet to take possession of it.

Easiest way would be to run a complete backup of its hdd to an external USB drive. You don't mention which version of Windows is installed, but backing up would be under the control panel/Backup and restore.

If it's just files you've put on there, they should be in C:\Users. All data on other partitions should be copied across too. If in doubt, back it up.

Once done, it would be wise to perform a factory reset using the recovery partition or DVD if there is one. Ensure no personal / financial / sensitive info is left.

Without knowing anything about the sale, particularly on what was agreed between you and the buyer, that's about all the advice I can offer.

Whatever happens, after it leaves your possession, assume you will no longer be able to access what's on it.

Bike-it 19:10 17 Aug 2019

Thanks, I just found the box of it and inside are three recovery discs I made when I first bought the laptop, is it better to use the discs? When the laptop leave me I want it to be all up to date, oh it's running Windows 10 home.

john bunyan 19:24 17 Aug 2019

Having got it to just having Windows on it I would use C Cleaner or another programme to wipe the unused space. 3 passes should be ok but it takes hours - at least overnight.

john bunyan 19:26 17 Aug 2019

Also read this

selling a pc

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)