What do these messages mean please

Alexx_B 22:26 17 Aug 2008

I have had the following message come up many times. What does it mean?

Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Controller stopped working and was closed.
A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

The has happened whilst online and just after computer start-up. I have no idea what it means. Is there something I can do?

I also have this message appear numerous times:

Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. This one usually happens whils online. I basically crash.

My pc is a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with windows vista.

All help is appreciated, thank you

brundle 23:09 17 Aug 2008

Remove and re-install your wireless card/adapter drivers.

nvlddmkm is a video driver - check for the latest version and update if appropriate - click here click here

Get a complete list of the specs of your machine with this click here

Alexx_B 00:05 18 Aug 2008

S.I.W, what is that? I mean, is it a disk or download?

I am not happy totally removing the wireless card/adapter drivers, what if I can get them back!

I will look into it. Thank you

brundle 00:16 18 Aug 2008

SIW is a download, run it and it will give you a list of your hardware amongst many other things.

Download any new or updated drivers using your existing connection, hook up to your router with a cable if you need to access things without a wireless connection.

Alexx_B 14:17 18 Aug 2008

Wow, that SIW is clever, it knows everything :O)

I found the driver nvlddmkm, in the list (there are a lot of drivers, I never knew that!)

Will look into updating it, I really don't want to remove it :)

jade25 14:46 18 Aug 2008

I had a Dell and always got it but it was only a second and it cleared it, now have another pc and it does it plus a friends does the same but again it does not hurt anything and it does look like it crashes but your still on the page, it doesn't take you of like a normal crash. I just put up with it rather than cause anymore problems, only got it changing to vista and the same for my friends,
Jade

Alexx_B 15:01 18 Aug 2008

Thanks Jade, yes it doesn't harm anything but it does get annoying.

I have read about online and it seems that nvidia is not completely compatable with vista, so it gets the hiccups :O)

Brundle (or anyone that knows)

How do I find out what nvidia I have? I thought it was 8600, but in the nvidia web page, (in the advanced driver search, it asks for details), 8600 isn't a choice its either 8600gts, 8600gt or 8600gs.

I am lost.

Ventad 16:03 18 Aug 2008

If you run CCLEANER it will be at the top on opening page or Start\All Programmes Accessories\System Information\Hardware Resouces\Conflicts Sharing
and you will see it in the right hand panel

Alexx_B 18:17 18 Aug 2008

Update: I have found out I have NVIDIA GeForce 8400m GS.

I went to NVIDIA site for downloads. I downloaded Geforce Release 175 whql, On set up it said:

The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

So I went back and downloaded Forceware Release 169 whql. Guess what, I got the same message :O(

I had read on other sites on line that forceware solved the problem which is why I tried that one. The GeForce Release download was at the top of the list.

I thought after filling in the questions all possible downloads would be compatible, or why ask the questions??

brundle 19:33 18 Aug 2008

This is the driver you need; click here

Alexx_B 21:36 18 Aug 2008

Thanks Brundle, I have done the download and fingers crossed it will solve my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?