What do I need for wired netork in new extension?

  dmm27 12:29 30 Nov 2006

Hi All

Currently having a new extension built, and suddenly decided that it might be a good idea to run a wired network whilst the electrician is putting in the other stuff.

What will I need to be able to do the following:

Desktop PC will be in study with broadband modem and printer. What I want to be able to do is basically plug a laptop into any one of the kitchen, bedroom, or playroom, (all of which are part of the new extension,) and be able to use internet and access files on desktop and print stuff.

I presume I need a cable running from each room back to the study, but what else, and how do I connect them all in the study?


  dms05 15:21 30 Nov 2006

It might be easier to use WiFi or HomePlug click here

  JJCUK 16:06 30 Nov 2006

wifi can be problamatic, I am currently using home plug and is as easy as can be, however given the opportunity to get a wired network in while the extension is being built is probably the best idea

cat5e cabling or cat6 with a cat5 faceplate on either side should do it you seem to have everything you need ,just run the cables and terminate each end onto a faceplate near where you require it ,just like a phone extension.

click here
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)