What could cause memory errors apart....

dagwoood 16:45 26 Apr 2006

from faulty RAM?

When I run Memtest86+ it keeps throwing up errors, mainly in test #4. I took my RAM out(2*1GB Corsair TwinX XMS PC3200PT)and put in 2*512MB Crucial PC3200 and ran a short test and it didn't produce any errors.

To eliminate the possibility of the Corsair memory being incompatible with the motherboard(Asrock 939 Dual SATA), I put in an EPoX motherboard(EP-9NDA3I). When I ran Memtest the Corsair memory failed quite quickly on test #6, so I put the Crucial RAM in just to confirm the problem was definitely with the Corsair pair, but that didn't pass, it failed after about 3 hours!!!

So I'm now assuming the problem is elsewhere, but I don't know what's the most probable cause.

I realise it might be the CPU as the memory controller is on there(Opteron 144), but stress tests on the CPU(Prime)haven't produced errors. Or the other thing was the PSU, but I monitor the 12v rail and that's rock solid and reading as just above 12volts constantly.

Any advice would be really appreciated, dagwoood.

dagwoood 21:13 26 Apr 2006

^

VoG II 21:15 26 Apr 2006

Do you have any problems with your PC, other than with the memory tests?

dagwoood 21:42 26 Apr 2006

Hi VoG™ :)

I haven't noticed any other problems to be honest, but if your memory doesn't pass memtest, then it's a given that your memory isn't performing as it should and could generate a read/write error to the h/drive. As you know, if that happens, you've got a corrupted operating system.

That in itself doesn't worry me as I have images of my o/s on my second h/d. What DOES worry me is if I got a read/write error if I was restoring from a back up.

VoG II 21:55 26 Apr 2006

'but if your memory doesn't pass memtest, then it's a given that your memory isn't performing as it should'

Well if your PC is performing correctly then I would ignore the test results. Various tests that I ran on my 'old' PC told me that various things were wrong - I ignored those and it performed perfectly. My current PC is also running perfectly and I have avoided the temptation to run any tests on it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

dagwoood 23:07 26 Apr 2006

"Various tests that I ran on my 'old' PC told me that various things were wrong - I ignored those and it performed perfectly."

That's probably true of most systems VoG™, but as I have been overclocking the CPU(and nothing else I hasten to add), running tests is a prerequisite to ascertain that the overclock is stable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?