what can this strange window mean? virus?

laptopdunce 21:46 18 Feb 2017

If I leave my laptop unattended for a while I keep getting a strange white banner in the middle of the screen, I cant copy and paste any of it so its difficult to explain it, it is all typewritten and has loads of text on it and at the end something about trojans being an entry into hard drives and do not try to repair this yourself, you hard drive could be corrupted and loss of data etc., etc., then a toll free number to call (so looks U.S. oriented) this has happened a few times and I restart and run antimalware bytes, adware scanner and do a CCleaner, but it doesnt reveal anything, but there must be something there to keep bringing up this banner, it only seems to appear when I have left the computer idle with open pages like ebay and other sites. Is there something embedded on the computer? why isnt malwarebtyes scan or adwarescanner not bringing anything up? not even a PUP? thanks Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 15:10 19 Feb 2017

How do I reset the screensaver (dont know what that means) - I must admit it has got alot better since I re-enabled this ABP adwardblocker in the google settings in extensions. laptopdunce (but I am still nervous this banner will re-appear sometime)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 19 Feb 2017
  laptopdunce 16:05 19 Feb 2017

OK I have set the screensaver with windows8.1 to come on after 1 minute, I take it that when I leave the laptop idle for more than 1 minute this screensaver will come on? and disconnect any programmes/hackers from getting access? I havent ticked the option for the log on screen to come on when I resume, I presume that when I just tap the keyboard the computer will come back to life with all the pages/websites I had open before? (I sometimes put it to sleep when I have to go out but obviously I cant do that when you only leave it unattended for a minute or two when on the phone or answering the door etc) thanks Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 17:58 19 Feb 2017

I dont know because I just used to shut the computer off, or restart, I didnt roll the mouse over the banner. I presume this must happen alot? Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 20:53 19 Feb 2017

No i wont, wold it be better instead of a screensaver to set the sleep function to come on in 1 minute? or would that shut sites down completely when the computer is idle? thanks laptopdunce

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

Chiara Luber brings vintage postcards to life in her summery ode to Hepburn and romance

Powerbeats Pro review

Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 4 : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique